What are these tiny little bugs I saw crawl on my tortoise?

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose
my Russian tortoise came out to bask and as I sat on the couch to check him out I saw 3 insy wensy teeny tiny bugs crawl in him they were a silverish black color and they moved very quickly. I freaked out snatched my tortoise out of his tank and put him in his bath immediately and then I clean out the tank top to bottom sanitizing it and then laying fresh New substrate and I sanatized all of the fixtures I put inside his tank. What are those bugs? How did they get there? What am I doing wrong? I never want to see bugs on my baby again.

San Jose
Springtails? Really? How’d they get there? Is that bad for his health? Do I need to give him more baths? After I bathed him I didn’t see any more bugs! Phew!

Melis

Maryland
They're harmless. They thrive in moist environments and will feed on old uneaten food. Ive had them in bags of soil before.

San Jose
Oh thank u Melis and cheese. Now I can calm down, I think my reaction was that when I saw the springtails I just assumed it was something bad. I don’t like bugs or spiders no how no way lol they give me the heebee jeebeez like lice making my head itch lol

San Jose
Also when I change the subtrate in his tank, he gets really upset and runs around and around it frantic as if he’s looking for something. Also today I let him stay out of his tank the longest about 10-15 mins and then when I put him back he got very upset. I know he’s super smart and now he knows of the freedom and doesn’t want to be back in his tank. He put his little head down on the subtrate and he looked so sad. Until I put fresh spring mix in his food dish, then he began to throw it down. Is he stress eating ???

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also when I change the subtrate in his tank, he gets really upset and runs around and around it frantic as if he’s looking for something. Also today I let him stay out of his tank the longest about 10-15 mins and then when I put him back he got very upset. I know he’s super smart and now he knows of the freedom and doesn’t want to be back in his tank. He put his little head down on the subtrate and he looked so sad. Until I put fresh spring mix in his food dish, then he began to throw it down. Is he stress eating ???

Tortoises don’t like change, so that’s pretty normal.
However, a tank is much too small for an adult Russian, and that is likely why he paces. Your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 4x8 feet.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How old is your tort? This tank will be too small if he's older than a baby. The stores will put pics of anything on products in order to get you to buy it.

They get the tort from petsmart, so 5-10 years old :)

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
He definitely knows his name too when I say his name he bobs his head a shrugs his shoulders
This is him breathing, in order to make space for air in their lungs inside a hard shell, they have to move their head and legs. He might do this more when he's excited (i.e. seeing you and wanting food).