Weird bugs in my baby sulcata's enclosure?

Kel2eyj66

I recently received my new baby sulcata tortoise who appears to be doing great. However, the first day I'd gotten him I had noticed a very small half-yellow, half-black beetle with long antennae in his water dish. I killed the bug and cleaned it out just in case. However, today I spotted another one of the bugs crawling up the side of the cage. My brother also told me that he had seen one of the same bugs in the water dish as well the other day and killed it. My suspicion is the bugs may have come from the fir bark that I bought for his tank. Does anyone have any clue what these bugs may be or if they're dangerous to him, or my house for that matter? I'm afraid even if I clean out the tank and get completely new bedding that I still may have a problem with bugs.
Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The bugs are detrivores and completely harmless to your tort. They're to be expected in any enclosure.

Some people add a few roly-polies (pill bugs) which help to control them.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm afraid even if I clean out the tank and get completely new bedding that I still may have a problem with bugs.
Thanks.
Do you possibly have a picture of this bug that we could look at and give you better feedback on?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, what Ken said. I did a Google image search on 'small yellow and black bug' and none of the pictures that came up looked like any bugs I've every had in my enclosures before.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Does anyone have any clue what these bugs may be or if they're dangerous to him, or my house for that matter? bugs.
Thanks.
"Bugs" is a very broad spectrum of insect life. Beatles? Burrowing grubs?
Worm type leaving wholes in pant leaves? Substrate worms?
I know…questions, questions and then more questions. These questions are partly why I asked If you can conjure up some type of picture for us. Happy new year and I'm glad you've found the correct place on the "World-Wide-Internet-Machine" ; )

Kel2eyj66

"Bugs" is a very broad spectrum of insect life. Beatles? Burrowing grubs?
Worm type leaving wholes in pant leaves? Substrate worms?
I know…questions, questions and then more questions. These questions are partly why I asked If you can conjure up some type of picture for us. Happy new year and I'm glad you've found the correct place on the "World-Wide-Internet-Machine" ; )

It was definitely a type of beetle. About the size of a grain of rice. I did try to take a picture, but my brother chased the bug away back into the mulch and I haven't seen any since. There's not so much of them that I see them everyday, but if I see one again I'll definitely get a picture if i can.
Happy New Years to you as well, and yes this place was very helpful for finding out how to take care of my tortoise.

Digger&Blinky

I had hundreds of small little grey bugs before living under the tiles they were really iratating the torts clean all possible areas where they could be