What are you paying for HOME OWNERS insurance?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Wow Z, that's as nuts as the taxes are in some areas!

NY for instance is TEN TIMES higher than MD. 20-30K PER YEAR??? For LESS services!
LMFAO

fwiw, I pay $1,160 per year for my homeowners with 4 claims in 20 years....via Erie
We are having this issue as far as taxes for flats, villas, land (real estate) etc. are concerned.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yes, I was talking to Kerry's brother who flew up from Fla for her get-together a couple weeks ago who told us that they can't get insurance for their manufactured home down there. I never even knew that was a "thing".....you are lucky!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes, I was talking to Kerry's brother who flew up from Fla for her get-together a couple weeks ago who told us that they can't get insurance for their manufactured home down there. I never even knew that was a "thing".....you are lucky!
There are many areas where new mobile homes are outlawed and existing ones cannot be replaced. This also applies to new modular homes and even wood framed homes.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Probably.
Also I live at the very edge of a flood plain. Lately we have been flooded in our backyard. This didn't happen until the idiots rebuilt our street and storm drains. Either way we've always had to pay national flood insurance which is about 7 to 8 hundred a year and homeowners which is around 6 something so $1400 a year .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also I live at the very edge of a flood plain. Lately we have been flooded in our backyard. This didn't happen until the idiots rebuilt our street and storm drains. Either way we've always had to pay national flood insurance which is about 7 to 8 hundred a year and homeowners which is around 6 something so $1400 a year .
South Florida is mostly drained swamp land and we have massive canal systems. This area doesn't flood often because of excellent drainage and those canals. And when it does flood, the houses are on a higher elevation than the streets.
Somebody did their homework.
I believe it was all done by the Army corps of engineers.
I do however have a flood policy because is not normal weather.
The red car is our house.
The water made it half way up the yard.

Attachments

• received_1477349362462504.jpeg
    received_1477349362462504.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
South Florida is mostly drained swamp land and we have massive canal systems. This area doesn't flood often because of excellent drainage and those canals. And when it does flood, the houses are on a higher elevation than the streets.
Somebody did their homework.
I believe it was all done by the Army corps of engineers.
I do however have a flood policy because is not normal weather.
The red car is our house.
The water made it half way up the yard.
Yes, I did live in south west Florida for about 5 years. Inland and in the country. You could drive for miles and not see very many cars if any. I liked it. It flooded even with the canals. It was still my favorite time of year though. The afternoon rain cooled it off but I am a person that can tolerate higher temps so I don't know how it would affect others. The mosquitoes were the worst but they didn't like me very much. I could be sitting right next to someone and they would be getting eaten alive but not me as much. The only thing I could think of is my herbal shower gels and cosmetics. Or maybe my blood is disgusting.😜 thank God.

OliveW

Branford, FL
North Florida here. Mine went up from around $2500 a year, for many years, to over $3500 this year!

It's much lower than yours, but an insane increase. I have thought about canceling it and just depending on savings, but chickened out of that. No mortgage.

OliveW

Branford, FL
There are many areas where new mobile homes are outlawed and existing ones cannot be replaced. This also applies to new modular homes and even wood framed homes.

We own a mobile home moving business, or manufactured home, same thing. Anyway, we deliver to the keys and Miami all the time. Just spent two days taking a double wide from Georgia to Miami.

Most of the homes we deliver are sold out of lots in Florida, where we have contracts, but the GA/Miami run was too much money to not take.

Lots and lots of folks from Orlando and all points south come up here to buy where it's cheaper. There are several factories in Lake City that homes are made, so it's cheaper. I'm not aware of any counties in FL that have outlawed new mobile/manufactured homes. 🤷‍♀️

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Curious to know if it's just south Florida that has gone insane.
I have a very small house. Cement block construction with full impact windows and doors and pretty run of the mill coverage. My new premium for the year is $7,950,(before my new windows and doors are factored in)
UNIVERSAL PROPERTY AND CASUALTY insurance.
I live in Broward county. It is crazy here and I had a hard time finding insurance a couple years ago when I purchased a new home. I found success with USAA. If you're a USAA member or able to become one, I would check their rates. A coworker of mine went through Estrella insurance in Coral Springs and their rate went from $8K down under $5K.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I live in Broward county. It is crazy here and I had a hard time finding insurance a couple years ago when I purchased a new home. I found success with USAA. If you're a USAA member or able to become one, I would check their rates. A coworker of mine went through Estrella insurance in Coral Springs and their rate went from $8K down under $5K.
I've got a new agency looking into options. (In Plantation)
I'm screwed right now until I can get my inspection.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Update:situation:
Most insurance carriers have packed up and left Florida. And ESPECIALLY SOUTH FLORIDA.
USAA doesn't cover anything but newer construction and only in certain areas of the state.
I'm just 11 miles inland. And my house was built in 1971.
This year the total policy, including the hurricane policy is: $9,500 and change.
With the upgrades I did to the doors, windows and roof last year, it brings it down to just about 6K.
Similar to last year's total. But I'll need to replace the roof this year to qualify next year for a discount. And that's about 18k.
Its not a winnable situation.
At least my carrier didn't go bankrupt yet. And CITIZENS insurance can be avoided for at least another 12 months.
It's hot out there. Really hot. It could be a horrible season for hurricane activity.
Floridians are praying for that SAHARA DUST and EL NINO to help.
My wife might be agreeable to moving away from here.
Finally

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's your hurricanes. California will be the next one losing insurance companies. It may have already started there.
Do you realize though, that when you have almost yearly hurricanes and CA has their yearly fires and mud slides, the rest of us pay a higher premium for all the claims being made that has nothing to do with the rest of us, but we pay still pay for it.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Update:situation:
Most insurance carriers have packed up and left Florida. And ESPECIALLY SOUTH FLORIDA.
USAA doesn't cover anything but newer construction and only in certain areas of the state.
I'm just 11 miles inland. And my house was built in 1971.
This year the total policy, including the hurricane policy is: $9,500 and change.
With the upgrades I did to the doors, windows and roof last year, it brings it down to just about 6K.
Similar to last year's total. But I'll need to replace the roof this year to qualify next year for a discount. And that's about 18k.
Its not a winnable situation.
At least my carrier didn't go bankrupt yet. And CITIZENS insurance can be avoided for at least another 12 months.
It's hot out there. Really hot. It could be a horrible season for hurricane activity.
Floridians are praying for that SAHARA DUST and EL NINO to help.
My wife might be agreeable to moving away from here.
Finally
So where would you go if you had your druthers?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So where would you go if you had your druthers?
Easy.
Northwestern Florida.
Not hurricane proof. But more like the actual SOUTH.
It'd be a compromise. Because my YANKEE wife isn't yet convinced that we need to move to North Central South Carolina. (Where I grew up)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's your hurricanes. California will be the next one losing insurance companies. It may have already started there.
Do you realize though, that when you have almost yearly hurricanes and CA has their yearly fires and mud slides, the rest of us pay a higher premium for all the claims being made that has nothing to do with the rest of us, but we pay still pay for it.
Oh, positively true.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Easy.
Northwestern Florida.
Not hurricane proof. But more like the actual SOUTH.
It'd be a compromise. Because my YANKEE wife isn't yet convinced that we need to move to North Central South Carolina. (Where I grew up)
You’d still have insurance issues though…