what can I do for him?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I'm going to pick up this guy tomorrow. I am told he is about 3 1/2 years old. I had nothing with me to measure his size, but from what I remember I'm guessing maybe 8 inches SCL? Anyway, as you see he is pyramided. Is there anything I can do for him? Has he done too much of his growing to help him to grow any smoother? How bad is his shell?redfoot.jpg I'm going to pick up this guy tomorrow. I am told he is about 3 1/2 years old. I had nothing with me to measure his size, but from what I remember I'm guessing maybe 8 inches SCL? Anyway, as you see he is pyramided. Is there anything I can do for him? Has he done too much of his growing to help him to grow any smoother? How bad is his shell?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have always read or been told, tortoises don't stop growing for a very long time, if ever. The proper environment with humidity will sure do him good along with enough space to roam and graze. Good luck, he's lucky you seen him and care.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He is pretty pyramided but a pretty tort ,too.
His face is beautiful.
I'd snap him up at once and give him humidity to give smooth growth in the future, and love him to bits.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm going to pick up this guy tomorrow. I am told he is about 3 1/2 years old. I had nothing with me to measure his size, but from what I remember I'm guessing maybe 8 inches SCL? Anyway, as you see he is pyramided. Is there anything I can do for him? Has he done too much of his growing to help him to grow any smoother? How bad is his shell?View attachment 140150 I'm going to pick up this guy tomorrow. I am told he is about 3 1/2 years old. I had nothing with me to measure his size, but from what I remember I'm guessing maybe 8 inches SCL? Anyway, as you see he is pyramided. Is there anything I can do for him? Has he done too much of his growing to help him to grow any smoother? How bad is his shell?

He is beautiful...and that tort has plenty more growth to do....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My adult male RF is almost 15" and he's also pyramidded.
It wont affect him.
But it might be an indicator that other things in his life haven't been done well, also.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
actually with the proper care and smooth growth forward this won't look so pronounced in a few year.. yes you CANNOT reverse it

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I really don't think his shell is that bad. If he's at 8" scl, I would think you have plenty of time to make it appear less pronounced. I've kept all four of my reds in the same environment and treated as equally as possible. Three are growing evenly while one has a little lumpiness to her. Sometimes I wonder even if given the right growing conditions a few will be "imperfect". It could be genetics or the individual tortoise's personality (perhaps she preferred the drier areas only).

Like everyone mentioned, up the humidity and maybe do the daily soaks. Also try not to feed so much of the richer type foods like protein and fruits to achieve slower growth. Enjoy your new addition!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm going to pick up this guy tomorrow. I am told he is about 3 1/2 years old. I had nothing with me to measure his size, but from what I remember I'm guessing maybe 8 inches SCL? Anyway, as you see he is pyramided. Is there anything I can do for him? Has he done too much of his growing to help him to grow any smoother? How bad is his shell?View attachment 140150 I'm going to pick up this guy tomorrow. I am told he is about 3 1/2 years old. I had nothing with me to measure his size, but from what I remember I'm guessing maybe 8 inches SCL? Anyway, as you see he is pyramided. Is there anything I can do for him? Has he done too much of his growing to help him to grow any smoother? How bad is his shell?
I like your tort. Dont worry about the pyramiding. Keep him humid and feed him a good variety and he will be happy. All my adults have pyramiding. This one is 11.5" SCL. Have had her about year now. If you look the dark growth at the bottom of her scutes is new growth since I had her. It's growing level. It's looks like the new growth is filling up the lowest part between each scute. You can also see marks from when a dog had her with the last owner. This tort and her sister were in a 2x4ft viv. Both very timid when I got them. Getting used to us gradually. Dont worry Lisa. He will be fine with good care. I'd have him.
IMG_20150715_191031.jpg IMG_20150715_191047.jpg IMG_20150715_190934.jpg IMG_20150715_185238.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks so much for your help everyone! I'll keep you updated.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Just an update. I went and adopted him last evening. Honestly, in person the pyramiding doesn't look as bad as it does in the picture but it is there. I measure him and weighed him. His SCL is about 8 1/2 inches and he weighs 1348 grams (just under 3 lbs.). Any name suggestions? My daughter wants to name him George but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just an update. I went and adopted him last evening. Honestly, in person the pyramiding doesn't look as bad as it does in the picture but it is there. I measure him and weighed him. His SCL is about 8 1/2 inches and he weighs 1348 grams (just under 3 lbs.). Any name suggestions? My daughter wants to name him George but I'm open to other suggestions as well.
They always look worse on a photo. I have a male called George. He's also pyramided. I wanted to call him 3D. Lol. Glad you got him. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They always look worse on a photo. I have a male called George. He's also pyramided. I wanted to call him 3D. Lol. Glad you got him. :)
How funny, my daughter wants to name this guy George. Here's a photo of him taking a stroll in my backyard when he came home. As you can see, he was being kept too dry.newredfoot.JPG

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He's nice. Give him a nice warm soak. Any chance of a photo of his plastron. Bet your happy. :)
I can get a photo later. But he is not a cherryhead, his plastron is like a normal redfoot. Northern I guess.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I can get a photo later. But he is not a cherryhead, his plastron is like a normal redfoot. Northern I guess.
Yeah. I wanted to see how concave he is. Both my northerns are really deeply concaved. But my male cherryhead is virtually flat across his plastron.