Location (City and/or State)
NJ
That's great news! Glad all is well.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Oh, and the vet said they are Eastern Hermann's.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
tortania said:
Oh, and the vet said they are Eastern Hermann's.

You have a 12 yr. old Newfie?? I think that's a record no?
Na

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
You have a 12 yr. old Newfie?? I think that's a record no?
Na
[/quote]

I don't know if it's a record or not..but I know it's very uncommon for them to live that long, yes. I don't know if the reason she has been around so long is because she is spayed (my German Shepard is neutered), and I let my dogs live in the house. She is starting to have some corneal clouding, getting a lot of white on her muzzle, and slowing down activity wise. I know our time is limited with her, and we're making the best of her last days:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am so happy to hear your new little ones are going to do fine. and that Nana is also- we all tend to slow when we reach a certain age. But being taken care of during that time is priceless :)

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
These look like Eastern / Boetgeri Hermanni's to me.

The diet they were on does not sound suitable.

They may or may not be underweight. There is a lot of varaiation in size and growth rate like with humans. If you measure the weight accurately and the straight line carapace length (SLC) you can check against the Jackson Ratio. This will tell you if they are underweight compared to healthy wild specimens.

Sounds like they are in good hands now!

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Ozric :). I asked the vet whether or not they were underweight, and he said they both felt solid so probably not. The sick one weighed 36.8 grams on the vet's scale,and the healthier one weighed 35.6. Of course they had both eaten before they went, lol.

The other ones eyes are already looking better. The one that wasn't infected is nice and opened up today, and looks very clear. The infected eye is still closed, but isn't or raw looking anymore. Boy, it sure is a trick getting that ointment in his eyes! I hold his head between my index finger and thumb and try to open his eyes with my other hand and try to squeeze the ointment in before they close. I'm sure all will be worth it in the end. The little guy went to town on his food today...I guess because he could actually see it :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't be too worried about getting the ointment directly on the eyeball. It is absorbed through the lid. I approach the tortoise from above and behind so he can't see me coming, and just dab it on the eye, whether its open or closed. Then smear it around so it covers the whole eye area.

Yvonne

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Yvonne ;). I am getting the whole eye covered...I was a little concerned about not getting it in his eye because the vet tech said to make sure I did. But I figured, as much that is supposed to be applied (1/4"per eye), eventually when he opens them it's going to get in there. I feel better knowing it will actually be absorbed too :)

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortania said:
Thanks Ozric :). I asked the vet whether or not they were underweight, and he said they both felt solid so probably not. The sick one weighed 36.8 grams on the vet's scale,and the healthier one weighed 35.6.

GREAT NEWS! Sorry I forgor to say there is special Jackson Ratio for hatchlings which applies to our younger and lighter ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.