What do I do if my tortoise ins't feeling right

boydie100

Hi Everyone,

My 4 year old tortoise ( Clemmy ) got attacked by our two dogs and now she won't move that far and won't eat as much as the other tortoises. She likes being held by me in a towel but I'm not sure about it. What can I do to make this tortoise better? And will her shell ever grow again?

Thanks for your time!!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Her shell would heal, but takes a very long time. Can we see pics of the damage so we can recommend a course of action?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Almost dying by being chewed by a predator is a very traumatizing thing. He's going to be very stressed and afraid for quite a long time. All you can do is be kind, move slowly around the tortoise. Soak him daily and gently place him in front of the food.

Has the tortoise seen a vet and has he had a regimen of antibiotics?

boydie100

she has fully healed since this picture however her shell has not regrown. She moves around OK, but slowly and eats a little but she has not grown as much as my other 2 tortoises who were the same size. should i be worried?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The shell won't regrow. She might have an underlying infection. It takes a very long time for them to show symptoms of an infection. If the tortoise didn't see a vet at the time of the injury, I'd surely take it in now for a blood test to make sure there is no infection.

boydie100

Ok Thank you. I am going away for a few nights should I take my tortoises away with me or leave them with a friend or a pile of food in their runway

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would leave them and ask the friend if they'd stop by daily to make sure everything is ok.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yeah, that was much more extensive than I had anticipated...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So sorry to hear that your tort was attacked by a dog. :( Hope she is now better.

And a warm welcome to the forum. :tort: