What do I use to decorate a hatchling red foot 20 gallon tank? Fake Plants? Rocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanRedFoot

5 Year Member
Alright! Thanks! You guys really helped me out a bunch! But you guys havent heard the end of me >:D

HermanRedFoot

5 Year Member
Hey! So I just came back from Lowes and I bought Premier Peat Moss. It is Sphagnum moss but I was just wondering if there would be a difference between the one I bought and the one you recommened (Mosser Lee brand).

Is the Sphagnum moss suppose to be fine? Or is it suppose to be thick? :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
HermanRedFoot said:
Hey! So I just came back from Lowes and I bought Premier Peat Moss. It is Sphagnum moss but I was just wondering if there would be a difference between the one I bought and the one you recommened (Mosser Lee brand).

Is the Sphagnum moss suppose to be fine? Or is it suppose to be thick? :D

If the Premier Peat Moss has vermiculite in it you do not want it. Vermiculite or Perlite can cause impactions. The Mosser Lee Sphagnum moss is a long strand moss. I know it does not mold or mildew. I do not know about the Premier peat moss. Is this the moss you bought? http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Premier-Peat-Moss/productinfo/SO-PM-MOSS/ My only concern would be if it is so fine you may want to watch your tort (especially hatchling) for wear on the back legs as it may be harder for him to walk on a fine shred moss. Hopefully someone who has used the Peat Moss will chime in. I never have.

HermanRedFoot

5 Year Member
Yeah thats the stuff I got! Dang! Guess I will be returning that! Lol

I didnt see the other brand of moss you suggested though (Moss Lee Brand). Is it even avaiable in Canada?

HermanRedFoot

5 Year Member
I kinda didnt want to buy the moss online due to the fact that I want it to be easily acessable for me and my tort :) My dad went down to Home Depot today and he came back with this product.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

It comes in like 4 bricks. Hopefully this stuff will do the trick. If not, I will have alot of moss stored in my garage lol!!

PS- I appreciate everyones help! :) Means alot

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Those bricks are coconut coir....the exact same thing as bed a beast! :p You even use it the same way....expanded in water! I would say, for moss, just head over to the local petco or petsmart and pick up some of their dry moss. (you soak it in warm water to rehydrate) because it is safe for reptiles.

The stuff you have now isn't moss....also, I don't know if you are going to mix any sand into it? But I would maybe do a 70/30 mix (30=sand) to help it be a little more stable (traction wise---this stuff is pretty light) and retain moisture. Coir can dry pretty quickly.

Looking forward to enclosure pics! Got any updates?

B

Black_Zanjay

You make a similar fashion from adults because you think the process of decoration. It seemed to be doing fine, but it started having a hard time moving around - come to find out his little. Then it could be needing a more time for your tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Black_Zanjay said:
You make a similar fashion from adults because you think the process of decoration. It seemed to be doing fine, but it started having a hard time moving around - come to find out his little. Then it could be needing a more time for your tort.

This had to have been a computer program. Even a non-English speaking person using a translator program would have made a better post than this one. But I banned him because he had a spam link in his signature, not because of his poor English. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.