What do you feed your baby turtles???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjones

5 Year Member
I just had my painted turtle clutch hatch and I know they probably will not eat for a few days, because they are still sucking up the yoke, but after a few days what should I feed them, what brand of turtle food do you guys use, and what other stuff do you feed your turtles???

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
Well my painted turtle was born this year too. He was reluctant to eat around me at first. I put him in a Tupperware container with 1 small earthworm every day for the first week. I then started to cut up the worm into 1/2 cm long bits for the next week. Then i switched over to reptomin baby. After that he began to trust me and he now eats inside his tank. He has tripled in sized in only about 2 months. When i found him crossing a road he was the same size as a quarter.

tjones

5 Year Member
ok so you would suggest earthworm!!! and feeding them in a different tank!!!! and the REPTOMIN BABY, thats pelleted turtle food right!! what brand of turtle food would you recommend,and what other foods aswell?!?

ryanseiler said:
Well my painted turtle was born this year too. He was reluctant to eat around me at first. I put him in a Tupperware container with 1 small earthworm every day for the first week. I then started to cut up the worm into 1/2 cm long bits for the next week. Then i switched over to reptomin baby. After that he began to trust me and he now eats inside his tank. He has tripled in sized in only about 2 months. When i found him crossing a road he was the same size as a quarter.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Yes earthworm, just dig one up or go to a bait shop. That is the brand of food, Reptomin comes in a few varieties, they have all the nutrition your turtle needs. I give mine the occasional treat of meat or bug too.

tjones

5 Year Member
and how long did it take for your baby hatchlings to become active, becausei put mine in there cage and they just sit there!!!

also they hatched last night, and the yoke just have a speck to get sucked up yet, is it ok that i put them in there new cage or should i have kept them in the incubator longer just to chill out!! and if i should have kept them in the incubator how much longer?!?

ryanseiler said:
Yes earthworm, just dig one up or go to a bait shop. That is the brand of food, Reptomin comes in a few varieties, they have all the nutrition your turtle needs. I give mine the occasional treat of meat or bug too.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Hmmm... i dont know that one. I got mine when he was about a month old. Or right after his yolk was all gone.

M

Maggie Cummings

I hope I am mis-understanding you. Painted turtles are water turtles and can only eat in water and so should be in an aquarium, not a cage.
I would feed newly hatched painteds bloodworms. You can get them either frozen or live. I prefer the live because they wiggle and the turtle would be more likely to try and eat something alive. Or you can get nightcrawlers and cut one up into numerous wiggling pieces...They are pretty much protein eaters as hatchlings and will gravtate to vegetables as they get older. HTH

tjones

5 Year Member
I know that they are aquatic but i red somewhere that you are suppose to keep them in a container with wet paper towel for a few days, then put them in the cage, but i just put them in the TANK right away!! in about 1" of water, and where do you but live blood worms, would you get them at a sporting goods store, where you would get nightcrawlers???

maggie3fan said:
I hope I am mis-understanding you. Painted turtles are water turtles and can only eat in water and so should be in an aquarium, not a cage.
I would feed newly hatched painteds bloodworms. You can get them either frozen or live. I prefer the live because they wiggle and the turtle would be more likely to try and eat something alive. Or you can get nightcrawlers and cut one up into numerous wiggling pieces...They are pretty much protein eaters as hatchlings and will gravtate to vegetables as they get older. HTH

M

Maggie Cummings

tjones said:
I know that they are aquatic but i red somewhere that you are suppose to keep them in a container with wet paper towel for a few days, then put them in the cage, but i just put them in the TANK right away!! in about 1" of water, and where do you but live blood worms, would you get them at a sporting goods store, where you would get nightcrawlers???

maggie3fan said:

You should be able to get bloodworms and nightcrawlers from the same place. I would put several inches of water in the tank and give them something like a ramp to climb out on...

tjones

5 Year Member
ok sounds good, and i was looking on the internet about different food items that i could feed them, and it had a list of them and they had pictures, do you know of a website that has that?!? or do you know of a website that says acceptable food item, such as different animals and plants and fruits and vegs???

maggie3fan said:
tjones said:

maggie3fan said:

You should be able to get bloodworms and nightcrawlers from the same place. I would put several inches of water in the tank and give them something like a ramp to climb out on...

Status
Not open for further replies.