What do you think?

Ashlixmarie

Hello! I'm not a very handy person myself and have been on the lookout for enclosures on the market and have noticed many only ship to the UK. However, I've recently come across www.bigappleherp.com and the stackable enclosures caught my interest, and are reasonably priced. The quality reviews sound good thus far and peaked my interest, and the fact that you can add on "cubes" as your tortoises grow larger! I was wondering what your thoughts were on these enclosures for a redfooted and leopard tortoise that I needed to previously keep separate, I may try putting them together again but with stackable enclosures atleast I can experiment.

Valerie0426

I saw those this am on FB group that I joined. Thanks for starting this one. Looks good but expensive. I added up what I would consider but too much. I think the ideas for homemade enclosures are better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but most ready made enclosures are much too small. An adult RF or a leopard would need something the size of a whole room.

These two species are not compatible in any way. Different heating and lighting needs, different temps and humidity, different housing, different personalities, and different diet too. Species should never be mixed and tortoise should not be kept in pairs. They are from completely different parts of the world and may not be able to tolerate each others "bugs".

Check this out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Ashlixmarie

Alright, that makes sense, I was leaning toward keeping them separated anyway, now I see why that is a definite. Given that they're still pretty small, I don't see size being an issue so much yet especially seeing how you can gradually make these enclosures larger. I just was moreso wondering if it were possible to make these suitable for my tortoises. I do plan on moving out of my apartment in the future and having an outdoor enclosure for them in the summer, but right now space is limited and the stacking method seems to be ideal. I wish I were as skilled as some of the other people here making some beautiful enclosures, that's the main reason I've resorted to things like these, hehe.

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
They seem pretty nice. Only issue is that they do seem pretty small. I mean, I have a 2 year old red-foot in a bigger enclosure than the biggest one they have.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I'm understanding the enclosure correctly, you can not only stack them, but you can add as many as you want together. Not only making them longer, but also wider, correct? If my understanding of them are correct, then it seems to be able to be a great enclosure and nice looking too. However, it will only be a great enclosure if you buy enough of them to give proper length and width for the tort.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello! I'm not a very handy person myself and have been on the lookout for enclosures on the market and have noticed many only ship to the UK. However, I've recently come across www.bigappleherp.com and the stackable enclosures caught my interest, and are reasonably priced. The quality reviews sound good thus far and peaked my interest, and the fact that you can add on "cubes" as your tortoises grow larger! I was wondering what your thoughts were on these enclosures for a redfooted and leopard tortoise that I needed to previously keep separate, I may try putting them together again but with stackable enclosures atleast I can experiment.

A very warm welcome to the forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Four foot by eight foot for each tort would be about the minimum if they're still quite small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're not handy with tools, this could be a good alternative for you, if you can afford them. I like the idea that you can put more than one together to make it bigger. But "bigger" is the operative word here. One little cube (or even two together) is way too small for an adult tortoise. One will keep a baby for a year or two.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
So I was doubtful but after a few minutes of scrolling around on their website I found this.

" The ONLY habitat that grows with your reptile!
Wow! All our Stackable Cages connect to each other. Do you need a 63" long by 31.5" wide cage? No problem! Just get four Large Horizontals. Do you need a 32" long by 30" high habitat? Just get two Large Verticals. The combinations are endless! You can make a room size enclosure if you want! "

When I saw room sized enclosure and endless combinations I started to get excited.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

1st not a good idea...a homemade enclosure is the best way to go...a redfoot needs an enclosed structure. High humidity is its lifeline....a leopard needs lots of space...each one needs a minimum of 5x4 and above...they should never cohabitat..different needs abd temps...

Reagan

New Hampshire
Go to your local hardware store and buy some wood, it will be Way less expensive. I went to Home Depot and bought some pieces of wood for $8 total. All you need is a saw, nailgun or screws + drill, and it won't even take 20 Minuets. Make sure you put a trashbag or some kind of protector so water will not mess up the wood.
;)