What does a car/truck "Detail" include?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I guess it's a moving target depending on area and local expectations?

I have always assumed since the first time I watched as someone detailed a car....that "detailing" was analogous to "make it look brand new". My experiences since were always the same.

Today though it seems that maybe I was wrong so maybe one of our car-folks can set me straight. I had Kerry's old car detailed prior to selling it. Granted, it was the son of her teacher friend who has been :"detailing for 3 years". While the cost was cheap @150, I had told the guy I wanted a full detail but they didn't lift the hood. I have to finish the car after paying if I want it done.

Are MY expectations unreasonable?

If I had it done at my old house, it would have been done correctly and cost $400. I could have lived with that for a really nice job.......this was a $180 wash , wax & vac LOL

COmtnLady

Colorado
I always understood it to mean inside and out, too, but maybe he was afraid to mess with the engine. With all the electronics and stuff, a short could cost a ton...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Full exterior wash and wax. Including visible inner fenders and inside door jambs. Interior detailing with a Q-tip and vacuum. Spot clean the carpet and seats.
All glass cleaned. Etc.
No engine detailing.
I wouldn't want a non mechanical type under my hood with a garden hose or a pressure cleaner. That's a whole different job.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I appreciate all the responses. I wasn't going to let the kid do my truck after seeing the first car. Last night I reconsidered. The kid is the son of Kerry's teacher friend, who she worked with for years. I'll let the kid do it today....

How come "seeing the bigger picture" is EXACTLY like "doing the right thing" in one way?

How come both always cost us?????

LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always thought it meant under the hood too. But when I had mine detailed a few years ago, 200.00, nothing under the hood was cleaned up. They did clean where the hood and car meet though. Same when hubby had his detailed at same place
But now that Zeropilot mentioned not wanting a non mechanic under the hood, I agree, I wouldn't either.