What does it mean to have an extra scute?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I heard somewhere that Sulcatas with extra scutes normally turn out to be female. Is this true?
When a tortoise is incubated at the top end of the acceptable range, you will get all or mostly females, depending on the specifics. As the incubation temps gets hotter, scute anomalies become more likely. Anomalies like split scutes, extra scutes, zipper scutes, or combined scutes. These anomalies are less likely at lower incubation temperatures, and lower incubation temperatures, depending on the specifics, should yield all or mostly males.

There can also be a genetic component to split scutes, which is independent of incubation temperatures.

Because of all of these facts, you are more likely to see females with split scutes than males, but males with split scutes are certainly possible. I have had a few myself.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
When a tortoise is incubated at the top end of the acceptable range, you will get all or mostly females, depending on the specifics. As the incubation temps gets hotter, scute anomalies become more likely. Anomalies like split scutes, extra scutes, zipper scutes, or combined scutes. These anomalies are less likely at lower incubation temperatures, and lower incubation temperatures, depending on the specifics, should yield all or mostly males.

There can also be a genetic component to split scutes, which is independent of incubation temperatures.

Because of all of these facts, you are more likely to see females with split scutes than males, but males with split scutes are certainly possible. I have had a few myself.
Very well stated! Great info.

Alessandro Previero

Boston

Hi Tom,

Following upon your explanation, could missing scutes also be caused by higher temps? Asking since my tort has one of the central scutes missing.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,

Following upon your explanation, could missing scutes also be caused by higher temps? Asking since my tort has one of the central scutes missing.

Thanks
Is it missing, like there is nothing there, or do you mean it has 4 vertebrals instead of 5? Post a picture?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It has 4 to be correct. See attached photo
Yes. That is one type of anomaly that is typically caused by high incubation temps. Sometimes it can happen even when there was not a spike in temps during incubation, but that is less common.

That type of scute anomaly is typically cosmetic and should have no effect on the tortoises health or well being.