What happened?:(

Valentine L.

Hello there,
My name is Lea, and my tortoise is named valentine! I just notice that one side of his face is red, and I do not know why... Is this normal, is this nothing, or is there a reason this happened? If you guys could help me I would really appreciate it! I have posted 3 pictures below... the normal side of valentines face, the red side, and his enclosure...

(I posted the enclosure just in case maybe you guys can see what could have potentially happened?)
I take him outside everyday as well!

Chappie 2 (1).JPG Chappie 2 (2).JPG Enclosure.JPG

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Just noticed the red mark! Sorry to not be of help regarding that, hopefully someone else can comment.

Your enclosure looks a bit dry for a baby. Do you measure the humidity in there or wet the substrate at all?

You can see on his shell that he is starting to pyramid which is due to dry conditions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of chips are those? On my iPad, they look like cedar. If they are get rid of them. Cedar shouldn't even be sold for any animal. Otherwise, it looks like a possible abcess. @Yvonne G can help further. Also, you tort is pyramiding. It needs high humidity, 80% and a larger enclosure. Once you get his red face taken care of I would suggest working on the humidity and a larger enclosure. An out door one for warm summer days would be the best.

Valentine L.

My bag from zoo med says the chips are 100% fir bark, and my stick on thermometers say it is about 80 degrees, how would I measure the humidity? How would I increase it?

Killerrookie

What kind of chips are those? On my iPad, they look like cedar. If they are get rid of them. Cedar shouldn't even be sold for any animal. Otherwise, it looks like a possible abcess. @Yvonne G can help further. Also, you tort is pyramiding. It needs high humidity, 80% and a larger enclosure. Once you get his red face taken care of I would suggest working on the humidity and a larger enclosure. An out door one for warm summer days would be the best.
That is Reptibark which is made by ZooMed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see what you're talking about with the red face comment. Do you mean the red coloration above the eye and on the cheek in the second picture? That's just a stain from something...poop or food or something.

The substrate you have is fine. All you have to do with that substrate is pour some water on it, mix it up with your hand, and as it dries out, pour in more.