What happened?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
idk, but it appears that search is also completely down now, instead of just being limited to posts before October 11

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
idk, but it appears that search is also completely down now, instead of just being limited to posts before October 11
Uh oh 😳

I’ve actually been pretty worried about this since I noticed the October 11th thing, but is there any kind of archive or back up of all of the posts here? If you know, that is. There’s a lot of knowledge here, and it would be catastrophic if something happened to whatever files hold post info. Like the burning of the library of Alexandria. Maybe this is a dumb question and there’s nothing to worry about, which would be nice.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Uh oh 😳

I’ve actually been pretty worried about this since I noticed the October 11th thing, but is there any kind of archive or back up of all of the posts here? If you know, that is. There’s a lot of knowledge here, and it would be catastrophic if something happened to whatever files hold post info. Like the burning of the library of Alexandria. Maybe this is a dumb question and there’s nothing to worry about, which would be nice.
I can't do any search now. You getting the same on your end?Screenshot_20240223_201131_Firefox.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Uh oh 😳

The posts are still there, seems like just a problem with the indexing.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I can't do any search now. You getting the same on your end?View attachment 366893
No, I can't either. Since posts can still be accessed through google and the "threads with your posts" or "your threads" side bar on desktop I know they haven't been forever lost or anything, but that is a huge bummer if it doesn't get fixed soon. I do have some coding experience, but just Java, C++, and a little bit of python, and very little experience with website creation, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but I wonder if it's either a problem with the amount of space available for storage/searching through and the forum has reached that limit, or if there's something wrong with whatever files the search function reads through to match searched words. Or the search function itself. I might just sound dumb, because again, no experience with websites.

Out of curiosity, are the site files handled through whoever runs Xenforo, or do Josh/Admins(?) have access to that stuff?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I've just this moment been able to get on here
I actually got a notification about a post by @Megatron's Mom while it was still down for me. Odd that it came back at different times for different people. Though looking at it now, it looks like the notification was just buffered or delayed and the post was actually made 2 hours ago.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
No, I can't either. Since posts can still be accessed through google and the "threads with your posts" or "your threads" side bar on desktop I know they haven't been forever lost or anything, but that is a huge bummer if it doesn't get fixed soon. I do have some coding experience, but just Java, C++, and a little bit of python, and very little experience with website creation, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but I wonder if it's either a problem with the amount of space available for storage/searching through and the forum has reached that limit, or if there's something wrong with whatever files the search function reads through to match searched words. Or the search function itself. I might just sound dumb, because again, no experience with websites.

Out of curiosity, are the site files handled through whoever runs Xenforo, or do Josh/Admins(?) have access to that stuff?

Xenforo is just the forum software. Josh is the only admin with access to the servers/software.

Since there was that Oct 11 cut off before, it's possible that some preset/default value was exceeded. but thats just guessing

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Xenforo is just the forum software. Josh is the only admin with access to the servers/software.

Since there was that Oct 11 cut off before, it's possible that some preset/default value was exceeded. but thats just guessing
If Josh ever needs a volunteer bug tester to dig through the files and see if they can find something, I have a lot of free time :p