What heating bulb do I need?

Mys

What bulb do I need for my Russian tortoise? The tank only reaches the high 70's.

150506458220064415375.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like this one:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

and I've never needed bigger than a 100 watt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What bulb do I need for my Russian tortoise? The tank only reaches the high 70's.
Its not that simple. We can't just tell you to use bulb "x". There are many ways to do it, and many bulbs that could be used. What you need to look at are your four temperatures, and then make your best guess at what equipment will help you achieve your desired temperatures. We can suggest a starting point, but only your thermometer, used correctly, can tell you if our best guess is working, or needs adjustment.

1. Basking area. There should be a hotter area directly under the bulb. This area should be around 95-100 degrees. I use a 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store for this. Its set on a timer for about 12 hours a day, and I raise or lower the bulb to get the correct temperature under it. I also use a flat rock of piece of sandstone or slate under it. You need to buy or build a lamp stand and get rid of that screen.
2. Warm side, which is the same side as the basking area, should be 75-85 during the day.
3. Cool side. This side can just be room temp. 65-80 is fine.
4. Overnight low. An adult russian like yours can handle night temps in the 50's, but warm summer night temps are fine too. There should be a drop in temp from day to night.

Please go into your user profile and add your location so we don't have to ask every time. Where are you? If you live in an are with frozen winters and you are not going to hibernate your tortoise, you should add a UV tube. Looks like the pet store might have sold you a coil type UV bulb. THose are no good. They are not effective, the screen top is filtering out a large percentage of what UV it does make, its too far away to work, and some of those bulbs burn their eyes. Better to use the long tubes instead. The mounting height will be determined by which type you get.

Last thing: Your tank is way too small for your tortoise. They need a large area to move around in. Something around 4 by 8 feet for a tortoise the size of yours.

Mys

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently building a tortoise habitat that will be significantly larger.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right now, 1.5 to 2 feet
A bulb large enough to make the basking spot warm enough at that distance, through a screen top, is going to overheat the entire small enclosure.

See number one in post #4 above.