What is the most common symptoms of a lethargic tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Im curious to what are the syntoms and behavior of a lathargic tortoise. My baby I recieved last week seems pretty shy still. It does walk arround but wont eat the muzuri or leaves I give it. I gave it a cantaloupe, grape, and a hibiscus petal and it ate those. I guess it likes bright colors. It like to walk when put down but when it sees people it freezes. Is this normal baby behavior (yellow foot)? or is he lethargic?

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
I am far from an expert on that particular species (reassuring I know), but the behavior you describe sounds very understandable for a young tortoise (or really any young reptile). I wouldn't worry.

conservation

10 Year Member!
Lethargy.

Sorry I could not resist. What you are describing is perfectly normal as long s the tortoise is heavy, has clear eyes that open easily, does not have any discharge from its nose and has regular firm stools. Increasing humidity or spraying them usually stimulates activity.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I have found it beneficial to take weight measurements occasionally as well. If it doesn't gain any weight over a 2-3 month period, then you know something might not be right. Of course, try to weigh at the same time, and part of routine, etc., for best results.

I wouldn't weigh the tortoise any more than once a week if you really want to keep constant, but once every 2 weeks would be good. Just my opinion, but a hatchling should be showing some signs of weight gain after 2 months.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Pets101 said:
Lethargy.

Sorry I could not resist. What you are describing is perfectly normal as long s the tortoise is heavy, has clear eyes that open easily, does not have any discharge from its nose and has regular firm stools. Increasing humidity or spraying them usually stimulates activity.

That's the first thing that popped into my head too ;)

Sounds normal to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.