what is this? (warning poop pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
So I did my normal soak this afternoon and Rye pooped out this white stuff. What is it?

12182010174-1.jpg

I also noticed a white object on his poo too

12182010176-1.jpg

12182010175-1.jpg

Sorry it's not as bright and clear. Camera battery is dead, so I used my cell phone.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Thank God! I thought it was something that wasn't normal. Thank you!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Its normal and a byproduct of recycling waters. Note though, try to clean it ASAP since its like cement.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What do you mean by recycled water? I am a little freaked out by that comment. Does that mean tap water?

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I freaked out too when my Russian did that haha, I read on google that it was pee :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ya, but if water caused it.......yuck I drink water.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It isn't "water." It is uric acid stored in the tortoises bladder. In the wild tortoises evolved to conserve as much water as possible. They only urinate at times when they can also drink. The urates in the urine stay in the tortoises bladder as crystals. Basically it is solid urine. Then when a water source is available, the tortoise passes the crystals and takes in fresh water.

Humans don't conserve water, it is nothing in the water, and you won't have this problem, unless you have bladder or kidney stones, which has to do with diet and not water.

The white spot on the piece of poop COULD be a parasite. I would have a fecal done by the vet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks Kristina. You did a great job of explaining that one to me.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Laura said:
look in the threads for lots of discussion on it. Is his poop green? or a bad pic?

it was a bad pic

Jermosh said:
Its normal and a byproduct of recycling waters. Note though, try to clean it ASAP since its like cement.

I cleaned it as soon as it came out. They have bottled water. Could that be it?

M

Maggie Cummings

However, if it feels gritty, and it does look gritty, that means he's not as well hydrated as he could be. Are you soaking him every day?

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
kyryah said:
It isn't "water." It is uric acid stored in the tortoises bladder. In the wild tortoises evolved to conserve as much water as possible. They only urinate at times when they can also drink. The urates in the urine stay in the tortoises bladder as crystals. Basically it is solid urine. Then when a water source is available, the tortoise passes the crystals and takes in fresh water.

Humans don't conserve water, it is nothing in the water, and you won't have this problem, unless you have bladder or kidney stones, which has to do with diet and not water.

The white spot on the piece of poop COULD be a parasite. I would have a fecal done by the vet.

I'll get a fecal done as soon as I can get an appointment with the vet

maggie3fan said:
However, if it feels gritty, and it does look gritty, that means he's not as well hydrated as he could be. Are you soaking him every day?

Yes twice a day for at least 20 mins sometimes more

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Again, it has nothing to do with the WATER or the WATER QUALITY. It has to do with the biological process of a tortoises body and its level of hydration.

Sometimes you can just take a fresh sample and have a test done, without having to pay an office charge. Then if the fecal comes back positive, you can take the little guy in to get some wormer. DO NOT allow your vet to give your tortoise any vitamin shots, particularly Vit. A.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
kyryah said:
Again, it has nothing to do with the WATER or the WATER QUALITY. It has to do with the biological process of a tortoises body and its level of hydration.

Sometimes you can just take a fresh sample and have a test done, without having to pay an office charge. Then if the fecal comes back positive, you can take the little guy in to get some wormer. DO NOT allow your vet to give your tortoise any vitamin shots, particularly Vit. A.

Thank you for the heads up, I'll even take this post with me, so I won't forget :)

M

Maggie Cummings

This is gonna make you crazy, but twice a day is too much. Once *every day* for about 20 minutes is enough. He should drink during that time several times a week. Other days he'll just float along in the water. But he needs to soak once every day and that will be fine. Good job!

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
maggie3fan said:
This is gonna make you crazy, but twice a day is too much. Once *every day* for about 20 minutes is enough. He should drink during that time several times a week. Other days he'll just float along in the water. But he needs to soak once every day and that will be fine. Good job!

I kept him with the same schedule while he was sick. Which required twice a day soaks. I'll switch it to once a day. Thank you.

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
what if your torti isnt putting out the white stuff?... just a question

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
When you see or look at Bird poop.... there is usually a brown or colored 1/2 and white..
the white is the 'urine' and he colored part is food/poop.
All us animals are just made a bit different..

Status
Not open for further replies.