What is this?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
At first I thought it was some weird type of dandelion, but the I uprooted it and the roots were nothing like them. Is this plant edibleIMG_1512338207.445574.jpgIMG_1512338234.334486.jpg?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It sure does look like its in the dandelion family. I agree, our standard dandelions here have a msin tap root, where this one looks more fibrous. BUT maybe this is the Texas version....roots are spread to catch any and all rains.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Maybe it's just a weird dandelion lol. We get normal dandelions all the time, but this one has very elongated leaves, and was super easy to pull out of the ground. Usually I have to cut the roots off with a knife to get it out, but I just lightly pulled on this one. And even then, the roots are so much different and the leaves are a lot softer and smooth. So weird!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, it was growing in different parts of my yard. This one was growing in a sandier area, and the regular dandelions grow in the more earthy, dry dirt I have. It probably has something to do with that.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Grrr, I found a picture of it online, but it says that it's a dandelion look alike, and it doesn't say what plant it is!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can’t say which it is exactly, having not seen it it in the ground, but one way or the other it’s in the chicory family and safe to eat.