What is this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Can't see it very well, but looks like a cockroach????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can't tell, but the color and shape make it look like a baby Blatta lateralis. These are common in AZ, and totally harmless. They will help keep your enclosure clean. :)

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hmmm I can't tell what that is but I would remove the substrate ASAP and change it to cypress mulch or coco choir I would also soak all of the decor and stuff in hot water before placing them back in the tank.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmmm I can't tell what that is but I would remove the substrate ASAP and change it to cypress mulch or coco choir I would also soak all of the decor and stuff in hot water before placing them back in the tank.

Nagh. Thats overkill. Most of these “bugs” are benign and really don’t harm anything unless they are stinging & biting your tortoise. A lot if these bugs come n go. Moist warm substrate coupled with food morsels create perfect environments for critters. As long as it’s not a total infestation, personally I wouldnt let it bother me.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Nagh. Thats overkill. Most of these “bugs” are benign and really don’t harm anything unless they are stinging & biting your tortoise. A lot if these bugs come n go. Moist warm substrate coupled with food morsels create perfect environments for critters. As long as it’s not a total infestation, personally I wouldnt let it bother me.
Maybe it's more of a personal preference then but if I were in the same position that's just what I would do. I just think that it would be bothering the tortoise if there were a bunch of tiny bugs crawling on them all the time.