What is wrong with my tortoise's tail?

Tortoiseowner93

I have attached a picture of my tortoise's tail. It looks swollen and like something is trying to come out of it. Could anyone tell me what is wrong with it and how to sort it?

Thanks

20171026_142603.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have attached a picture of my tortoise's tail. It looks swollen and like something is trying to come out of it. Could anyone tell me what is wrong with it and how to sort it?

Thanks

View attachment 221284

The tortoise is most likely straining to defecate and forcing some of its intestinal tissue out. Do you soak it daily? Have you seen it pass any stools recently?

Is that a hard ball of fecal matter just under the tip of the tail? If so, can you get a toothpick and stick it into the mass that is coming out at an angle and try to work it out? If you have some mineral oil, you can put that on a cotton swab and lubricate around the anal opening first, then try to get the mass to come out. Or break it up with the toothpick so it can get out more easily.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good advice above. I also recommend twice daily lengthy (at least 30 minutes) soaks to improve the hydration of this tortoise. This will help to soften the material in the tail and also ensure the tortoise is not so dehyrated that constipation happens

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Can we get some more pictures of this tortoise please?
The advice you have been given is good. Make sure the soak water is warm but not hot.
We need to know the conditions he is being kept in - temperature, humidity level etc. and what he is eating.