What is your favorite thing about your Hermann's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
I don't have one (yet), but I am in the market for one, and thought that this thread could be a fun venue to express all the little things there are to love about these pretty little torts!

Note: Yes, I ripped off the Russian thread. But since there is a back and forth re: which species is the most personable, I thought a bit of healthy competition couldn't hurt. ;)

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I Personally Love The Markings And Shell Colors, As Well As Their Personalilty :)

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I've only got one tortoise which is a hermann's, so I can't really impart vast wisdom. But Walter is almost as friendly as my hand raised cockatiel, Walter follows me, sticks her head out for ear rubs, falls asleep on me, always stares at me in horror if her bath water isn't warm. Considering I didn't even have her for the first 5 years of her life, and her old owner never handled her, that's pretty darn tame.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Their personalities definitely! All mine are different, they are entertaining and educational for my kids.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I only have the one, but I love absolutely everything about him. I love that he's a wonderful companion, so interesting to watch, and he can calm and relax me just by being in the same room. He means so much to me, and he's still so young so we'll hopefully have many years together.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Their freindly, fearless personality...with many species of tortoise, it takes a while to gain their trust, sometimes a number of months, but with Hermann's it often takes only a few minutes...

I suspect that when people go out collecting, the Hermann's tortoises let out a whistle and wave "Hey, over here...take me home, I'm ready to be pampered and domesticated!" :p

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Earlier today I was sweeping and mopping the floors, so all the doors to the garden were open. I finish what I'm doing, go in the kitchen, make a coffee, go to the lounge to boot up the PC and see my smallest Hermanns, Niles, stretched out in a sunny spot on the Lounge rug!!! He has obviously made his own way in whilst the doors were opened and found himself a nice comfy spot to bask in..

Cheeky little bugger!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Jacob said:
I Personally Love The Markings And Shell Colors, As Well As Their Personalilty :)

DITTO!!!! And their small size, ease of care, robust, etc, etc, etc....

Alexx

5 Year Member
I love their personality :) it just shines through their faces :) mines such a cheeky little boy :) when I'm stroking him he stretches his head out as if to say that's nice mum :) and I love the way he yawns :) I just love everything about them :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry Allan Hall said:
Their freindly, fearless personality...with many species of tortoise, it takes a while to gain their trust, sometimes a number of months, but with Hermann's it often takes only a few minutes...

I suspect that when people go out collecting, the Hermann's tortoises let out a whistle and wave "Hey, over here...take me home, I'm ready to be pampered and domesticated!" :p

I agree with this, Oogway was fearless from the moment I got him...

jkingler

5 Year Member
I also have to agree. Rory was way less trepidatious from day 1 than I had expected. And I love the way she zooms around exploring everything fearlessly, falling into her water dish, burrowing deep into her substrate...:)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I just think they have great personalities.
They are tough, pretty, don't get huge so needs can be met by more people(especially here in Canada)
I have friend with over 50 tortoises-aldabra, Asian, Hermanns, Greeks, Sulcata, Egyptians,Russians, boxies,pancakes etc etc (More than I know about) and I asked her once -out of all the species which is your favourite-she replied without hesitation-Male hermanns-best personality.
I always think about that as she has so many to fall for.

Oh and their pretty little dark eyes too!!

jkingler

5 Year Member
I love how Rory rampages around.

(Though I do sometimes wish she were more of a daddy's girl, seeing as she generally would rather stomp around or be burrowed than hang out with me. But I will work to gain her affections without having to starve her to do it (I suspect her not depending on me for vittles is setting me back a bit...:p).

I love how the very SECOND that she is introduced to something new, she challenges it. New rock? Trying to go through, under or over it. New hill of coir? Climbing it like five times if it is part of her 'perimeter patrol.' She is such an adventurer. :)

jkingler

5 Year Member
New favorite thing: that she lets me hand feed her now! :D

!!!!

She tells me that she is a fan of endive, but especially loves broccoli leaves and BROCCOLI FLOWERS. She ate about a dozen of them, and wouldn't have stopped except that I didn't feel like I should give her any more.

Sunshine

5 Year Member
UK
Their wonderful loving personalities! Herbie follows me, loves a cuddle for hours, waits for me to come home from work and blinks for a v long time when I'm saying his name ;-) He is adorable, and I couldn't imagine my life without him :tort:

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.