what kind of conditions do i need in order for my russians to breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! What do you mean by "tips"....what kind of "tips" are you thinking about? While I don't keep Russians and I'm sure an experienced keeper will respond soon, I just wondered if you've quarantined the male from the female yet to ensure he doesn't pick up from or give any illnesses or parasites to her? It is very common for one or the other to have either parasites or some type of illness that they may not exhibit at first but will after the stress of moving, being introduced to a new environment and/or another tortoise. And if he doesn't, she might. So that's my "tip" (otherwise, I would imagine you put them together after quarantine and they'll take care of the rest - assuming correct environment, etc.) Congrats on your new acquisition. Oh, we always like photos too:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I keep russians and he does not need any urging to breed, but he has not been succesful so far, but a quaratine should be done first, then you can worry about babies. Just my 2 cents.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
After quarantine, the big question is; Is your female large enough to lay eggs? If your female isn't 6 inches straight carapace length (SCL), than she's not large enough to lay eggs.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tip is to have homes lined up for the babies of people who will care for the tort correctly for the tort's entire lifespan, and be prepared to keep any and all babies if you can't find a proper home.

Status
Not open for further replies.