My new addition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Just got this Russian, about one day after i got my red foot.
A man on the internet was basicially giving him away and was asking a small price so i bought him.

I have attached some pictures below.

Now, I realize that the red foots and these russians are different tortoises for temperature and diet (russians no fruit or meat, and alot drier conditions), but I was just wondering I have my red foot in a pond tub. I was thinking I could buy another one for my russian and stack them on top of each other. Keeping in mind that I would be usually some type of pipe to hold up the other one and allowing air circulation for breathing. Not sure which would be on top or bottom yet. Can anyone give me some other suggestions as far as keeping the two? I shall post pictures of the enclosure once i decide what i am going to do.

As far as russians go, what can i do with it in regards to hibernation in order to support the tortoise so nothing goes wrong? I have talked to someone at a reptile store around me (Ontario, Canada) that said that you don't have to hibernate the tortoise, that hibernation is just if you do want to breed your tortoise. I am NOT wanting to breed the tortoise, just give it the best care that I can!

Please, if anyone can give me any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance all!

Attachments

• DSCF6621.JPG
    DSCF6621.JPG
    818 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF6618.JPG
    DSCF6618.JPG
    740.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF6619.JPG
    DSCF6619.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How fun....well...if you do a search on the forum for two story enclosures you may get a few ideas to go with what you want to end up with.....

Brumation is simply an evolutionary part of some tort species life cycle. Some folks will say the only time you "need" to brumate a tort is if you are going to breed...however there are lots of folks that have torts that produce and those torts are not brumated. It truly is something that you will want to research and learn about so that you can decide your comfort level....

It is my opinion, I need to make sure I am clear in this, my opinion :D, that if you host a species of tortoise that evolution has designed to brumate...then a disservice is done if I do not provide a successful opportunity for the tort to fulfill its entire life cycle as they are designed....again, simply my personal belief...therefore all four of the CDTs here in my care are offered the opportunity to brumate each winter season....others have their own beliefs and that is perfectly aok....I am just sharing my beliefs so you know there are folks here that indeed do it....

I would not brumate a tort for a full year from when I began its care...I believe that if you take in a tort that is new to you there has to be time to get to know what is normal behavior for that tort...and secondly to design a whole year of season to prepare the tort for brumation and this would be to offer good food offerings so weight is gained...so that hydration can occur by soakings and consumption of water filled foods in addition to the variety of foods for nutrition and also to assure enough sun exposure to store up what they will need while brumating and to make sure they are overall healthy and sound to brumate...then you will need also to determine a place that is safe and secure in which your tort can quietly brumate in an area you have pretty even ability to keep at appropriate temps and free from water....

So...you have time to research and ask questioned of people who do or don't brumate...then you can establish what you find appropriate for your tort and you...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats on the new member. Just a thought to keep in mind. Even if the two species of torts you have, had the same care requirements as far as food, humidity, etc. they still should not be housed together. Different species should not be housed together. As for brumation/hibernating, ditto on what was already state

Status
Not open for further replies.