What kind of red foot torts are those guys

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
They are all commonly known as Northen redfoots - meaning they come from the countries of Guyana/Suriname [ NE ] .. or a farm in Venezuela [ Central ] or possibly from Colombia [ NW ].

Due to decades of "cross-breeding" these imports.. we see a mix of them all - from Northern, South America. No one can really know.. unless they know the importer.. and they were not among any others...

cyclopunx

If believe the papers first from left is from colombia (farm i supposted) second is born i Poland (im from Poland) but polish breeders told me that this is cherry head and about last one i dont know anything except that is also true cherry head youngster (what doesn't matter for me). i supposted he/she is also from polish breeders. no one is realy sherry head? im asking cause i'm interesting about type, sub-species of them. thanx

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@cyclopunx - some years back someone claiming to be a "Farm" in the country of Colombia emailed me and included a link to their website. Most of the adult breeders were local redfoots and were yellow.. similar to your first one on the left. No problem with middle one being from Brazil [ cherryhead ] .. but the one on the right is almost positive is from NE South America.

And yes regardless - You have done [ someone has done ] a very good job of raising them - very nice looking redfoot tortoises!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there! I am from Poland too! Just happen to live across "the Pond". I'll show you mine for a point of referenceImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480322225.858224.jpg this is my Brazilian cherryhead ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480322325.043200.jpg his name is Tucker. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480322528.683038.jpg and this is my sweet girl Shellie, the RedfootedImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480322634.417978.jpg her underside (plastron) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480322803.522916.jpg more face detail. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480322881.802295.jpg see how different they are! The shape of their head/face, and color ofcourse. The cherry seems to have more square and pointed profile of the nose while Shellie's head is more rounded with this really long neck. Their shells are different too. They looked very much alike as neonates, and now as juveniles, Shellie looks like gigantic pillbug (oblong) and Tucker's carapace is more rounded. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480323278.779685.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480323372.677546.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480323403.916432.jpg this is just my observation of MY babies. @Redfoot NERD is the one to learn from. We are lucky to have him and others like him on tbis forum. Your tortoises are very pretty by the way

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi there! I am from Poland too! Just happen to live across "the Pond". I'll show you mine for a point of referenceView attachment 193298 this is my Brazilian cherryhead View attachment 193299 his name is Tucker. View attachment 193300 and this is my sweet girl Shellie, the RedfootedView attachment 193301 her underside (plastron) View attachment 193302 more face detail. View attachment 193303 see how different they are! The shape of their head/face, and color ofcourse. The cherry seems to have more square and pointed profile of the nose while Shellie's head is more rounded with this really long neck. Their shells are different too. They looked very much alike as neonates, and now as juveniles, Shellie looks like gigantic pillbug (oblong) and Tucker's carapace is more rounded. View attachment 193304View attachment 193305View attachment 193306 this is just my observation of MY babies. @Redfoot NERD is the one to learn from. We are lucky to have him and others like him on tbis forum. Your tortoises are very pretty by the way
My guess is Shellie turns out to be a male. We shall see in time pearls.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
My guess is Shellie turns out to be a male. We shall see in time pearls.

@Anyfoot .. since [ generally speaking ] a split-scute means female.. Shellie most likely is a female - and is way too small to sex based on anal-scute configuration.

**again there are always exceptions!**

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Anyfoot .. since [ generally speaking ] a split-scute means female.. Shellie most likely is a female - and is way too small to sex based on anal-scute configuration.

**again there are always exceptions!**
I forgot HE was a split. We shall see.
Or I should say I didn't look at the photo, I've admired pearls torts many times before so I didn't look at the carapace this time.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hi there! I am from Poland too! Just happen to live across "the Pond". I'll show you mine for a point of referenceView attachment 193298 this is my Brazilian cherryhead View attachment 193299 his name is Tucker. View attachment 193300 and this is my sweet girl Shellie, the RedfootedView attachment 193301 her underside (plastron) View attachment 193302 more face detail. View attachment 193303 see how different they are! The shape of their head/face, and color ofcourse. The cherry seems to have more square and pointed profile of the nose while Shellie's head is more rounded with this really long neck. Their shells are different too. They looked very much alike as neonates, and now as juveniles, Shellie looks like gigantic pillbug (oblong) and Tucker's carapace is more rounded. View attachment 193304View attachment 193305View attachment 193306 this is just my observation of MY babies. @Redfoot NERD is the one to learn from. We are lucky to have him and others like him on tbis forum. Your tortoises are very pretty by the way

@Pearly .. Your observation of YOUR babies is well-founded. YOURS in particular are very universal.. by description.

Let's break that "marketing-name" given to REDFOOT Tortoises from Brazil.. the name that Carl dislikes and I just cringe when I hear it used --- CHERRYHEAD .. or any other reference made vs "Regular" redfoot. They are all .carbonaria / redfoot tortoises from a very broad range in South America. ( Whether a "sub-species" designation should be made or not is still out for debate.. and is an entirely different issue altogether! )
Actually.. there is a tortoise by the name of Grand Chaco with a different scientific name also - not sure if those are the ones referred to as "Grand-Chaco" redfoots - Chaco tortoise (Geochelone chilensis), Gran Chaco, Paraguay

Anyway .. the .carbonaria covers a broad range and has quite subtle / physical characteristics ofttimes .. and that can be confusing as well. The basic differences really don't show uintil they are a lot older than is commonly thought -- remember they live longer than the oldest guy on this forum [ oooops! ]

What a range huh -

I have business to take care of for awhile today .. be back later on this then -

cyclopunx

Hi @Pearly . Your torts are amazing. brazilian cherryhead is so special. thanx for all replies. i know now that recognize sub-species of reds isn't simple but my friends are definitely not brazilian cherry head or any other cherry type. just regular red footed but it is great. they are so cute. All reds are most beautiful torts for sure.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hi @Pearly . Your torts are amazing. brazilian cherryhead is so special. thanx for all replies. i know now that recognize sub-species of reds isn't simple but my friends are definitely not brazilian cherry head or any other cherry type. just regular red footed but it is great. they are so cute. All reds are most beautiful torts for sure.

Pearly's Brazilian redfoot is special .. especially during the 'marbled-phase'! - most don't keep that as they get older tho' - and of course some show good signs of what once were.

@cyclopunx I hope it doesn't mess you up when you see an orange/yellow - so called cherryhead - Brazilian redfoot -

And one Carl sent me when a hatchling - he commented about how it grew to look after a couple years -

So - even the Brazilian redfoot tortoises have crazy color varieties.. how about "Black" ? Hatched from a typical Brazilian pair -

Their plastron not long out of the egg -

cyclopunx your Brazilan is unique and beautiful.. unlike any of the others shown on your thread here!!! Be proud...

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Wow. So colorful and cute! I want to hold them.