What kind of thermostat do you use?

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
I just set my outdoor hide up with a new mini oil filled heater and thermostat. Checked it numerous times before going to bed. All seemed good with it. Got up this morning and the thermostat was melted! I'm so, so glad it didn't catch on fire because the hide box is actually under our sunroom that is attached to our house! So can anyone please recommend a new thermostat that they have successfully used with the mini radiator heater???? Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yipes. That's pretty scary.

I have my lights and heat on timers and I don't use a thermostat. But be sure whatever you buy is rated for the size of the heater. For example, my oil-filled heater is either 600 or 1200 watts. I always use the 600 watt setting. So if I were to use it with a thermostat I would buy one that would work on an appliance of more than 600 watts just to be safe.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Yes, it was rated correctly. I don't think a timer will work for me. Our temps here in GA are just too crazy, back and forth all the time.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Yes, but I read and was told by others here that the thermostat on the heater itself isn't accurate and to use an external one to make it more efficient.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Does it work even when the temps drastically change? Like right now we are 70 to 80 during the day and 50's at night.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It should work fine if everything is taken care of, Proper insulation, Multi layered door flaps, and if needed, a way to vent some of the high hot air.