What kind of tort is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
tortoise pic.jpg

I know the pictures isn't the best, I have asked for more. They state it is a russian but didn't think the russians had these types of markings, looks more like a Greek/hermann to me. (but I do not know MUCH, so would appreciate your opinions... :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not good with mediterranean tortoises, but you're correct that it IS a Greek/Hermann and not a Russian.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
YEAH!!!! I got it right! :cool: So can anyone tell me how to determine between a Greek and a Hermann? If this is a greek, it is so going to be MINE... lol What is your opinion on housing a greek and hermann together? I have a greek coming around march so they would eventually be in the same enclosure ( 4x8 enclosure).

If this works out, I will be banning myself from craigslist... lol. The sulcata I was looking at didn't workout - which is for the best if this will be compatible with my greek!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I'm a purist, so I wouldn't put two different species together.

I haven't paid close enough attention to the talk here on the forum to be able to distinguish between the two.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If they're both females and both are in excellent health, they'll get along fine.

If they're both males, and both are in excellent health, they'll fight, possibly continually.

If a mixed couple, and both are in excellent health, the male will "sexually harrass" the female (which is why breeders keep 2 or more females in with a male...he can only harrass one at a time). And, if one's a Greek and the other, a Hermann's, you may end up with hybrids.

To tell them apart, the Greek has spurs on the back of it's thighs, the Hermann's will have a spurs on it's tail-tip.

Either makes a nice pet, but quite often the Hermann's will be friendlier.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks! I will make sure to only get greek and will try for female since my other one should be female. Or darn I may need to get 3 ... lol

owner finally got back to me and has someone looking at it today, so I am assuming it will be unavailable :(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jessicap said:
Thanks! I will make sure to only get greek and will try for female since my other one should be female. Or darn I may need to get 3 ... lol

owner finally got back to me and has someone looking at it today, so I am assuming it will be unavailable :(

If it turns out to be a Hermann's, and still available, could I get you to PM me the ad?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Terry Allan Hall said:
Jessicap said:

If it turns out to be a Hermann's, and still available, could I get you to PM me the ad?

sure - but I am assuming it will be gone. Will let you know what happens.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Ah, I saw that ad last night, too. Semi-surprised to see that it wasn't a Russian at all. I thought it was a Greek but I'm also not certain on the differences between Greek and Hermanns. I got excited for about 5 seconds before I realized that I couldn't possibly get down there to get it, let alone house it.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep three adult male greeks together and they don't fight at all. I just make sure they have plenty of space and "furniture" to give them plenty of privacy.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Terry Allan Hall said:
Jessicap said:

It is gone! Bummer, I was so excited! Really looked like a greek to me. I spoke to him and he insisted it was a Russian though. Oh well, I guess I will never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.