What kind of tortoise do I have?

lemonshark

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello! My boyfriend and I were riding along our neighborhood and stumbled across this little guy and would love to care for him in anyway we can since we’re assuming the storm displaced him. Any information and tips on him? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello! My boyfriend and I were riding along our neighborhood and stumbled across this little guy and would love to care for him in anyway we can since we’re assuming the storm displaced him. Any information and tips on him? Thank you!
It is a baby Gopher Tortoise which has recently hatched. The egg tooth is still visible on its upper beak. Gopher Tortoises are protected in FL (not legal to take from wild). Either put it back very near where you found it or call Fish and Game to let them tell you what to or give it to an accepted rehab facility.

lemonshark

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
It is a baby Gopher Tortoise which has recently hatched. The egg tooth is still visible on its upper beak. Gopher Tortoises are protected in FL (not legal to take from wild). Either put it back very near where you found it or call Fish and Game to let them tell you what to or give it to an accepted rehab facility.

Oh wow, he was definitely displaced by the storm a few days ago then. We weren’t 100% sure but since there’s an abundance of gophers near us we were assuming. We found a county park a few miles away and contacted rangers to return him. Thank you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Oh wow, he was definitely displaced by the storm a few days ago then. We weren’t 100% sure but since there’s an abundance of gophers near us we were assuming. We found a county park a few miles away and contacted rangers to return him. Thank you!
That sounds great. Glad you were able to save the baby tortoise. Good work!