What kind of tortoises do I have?

michele15

Hello.
I'm new as of today!
Sad story I woke up this morning to find a box and a cage by our trash cans. Today, they pick our trash up. My husband went to put the box in our can and heard something moving. He opened the box and found someone dumped 2 tortoises a big and small one. I can't even imagine if we didn't get them before they were dumped. They smash the trash in the truck to make more room. I can't believe some just dumped them lik e
trash. Can someone help me figure out what kind they are so I can research
what they need. We live in south Texas near floresville.

Attachments

• 20140508_163128.jpg
    20140508_163128.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20140508_163152.jpg
    20140508_163152.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 89
M

Maggie Cummings

One is a tortoise and the other is a box turtle. The tort is Gopherus agassizii (California Desert Tortoise)I think, or maybe a gopher tortoise I'm pretty sure the box turtle is a T. ornata ornata, or a desert box turtle, T. ornata luteola...somebody more experienced will narrow it down for you.
Keep them separate as they are different species. Give them a warm soak now and then when you are told exactly what species they are you'll be given a link to a care sheet for each. Put an incandescent light over each to keep them warm for now.
That's a shame and I am glad you saved them. How maddening, when turtle rescues are everywhere, or even the animal control would take them. Darn people anyway!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
The first photo is a Texas tortoise. Should be released back into the wild. They're protected here. The second is a box turtle.

M

Maggie Cummings

Kelly...are you sure about releasing it? Might have been captive for a long time...anyhow, put each in some warm water up to where their bottom shell meets the top shell. That will warm them up and hydrate them. The Ornata will eat worms and fruit, grass/weeds for the tortoise.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The little one looks like an ornate as mentioned before. Most likely a female. I have a male ornate in the SA area. He's a trip. The other one I'm not certain of but looks like a desert tort.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I say female based on that single picture but more pictures would help the experts identify it further (that would not be me lol).

Elohi(Earth)

michele15

Thank you.
They are both really friendly and ate from my hand or fingers. Lol
I did seperate them due to the size difference the tortoise is about 9 to 10 inch and the box turtle is about 5 inches.

evie_verloren

I'm having a similar issue. I was hiking with my boyfriend and I saw this little guy in a ditch. I picked him up and brought him home and I had no idea if he was a turtle or a tortoise. I brought to petco and they told me he was a tortoise but not what kind. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• IMG_20140508_185210.jpg
    IMG_20140508_185210.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 57

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'm having a similar issue. I was hiking with my boyfriend and I saw this little guy in a ditch. I picked him up and brought him home and I had no idea if he was a turtle or a tortoise. I brought to petco and they told me he was a tortoise but not what kind. Can anyone help?
Yours is a box turtle too. Either 3 or 4 toe. Look at how many toes it has on the hind feet.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Kelly...are you sure about releasing it? Might have been captive for a long time...anyhow, put each in some warm water up to where their bottom shell meets the top shell. That will warm them up and hydrate them. The Ornata will eat worms and fruit, grass/weeds for the tortoise.
Your definitely right Maggie. I looked at the photos and just skimmed the text. I had thought this tort was found. I can call my game warden where we are and ask for the local warden in your area. They will pick it up, test it and either release it if tested ok, or regime it to permit holding facilities.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is absolutely disgusting! Who can do such a thing to a living being? I'm outraged!

Thank goodness you were out there before the garbage truck.

Kelly has the right idea, however, I'd like for you to call your Texas Game and Fish folks and find out about the laws concerning the Texas tortoise. See if it would be possible for you to keep the tortoise, since it obviously isn't a wild tortoise. It looks like its been through the wringer and had a pretty tough life, including being dog chewed.

michele15

That sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to get in any trouble. Is it ok to keep the box turtle?

M

Maggie Cummings

Sure is. They have great personalities and you will enjoy them...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

My suggestion for you is take it right back where you found it and let it go. That is, if it is in an area where it would have a chance to survive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

If box turtles are native to your state, then you need to put it back where you found it. Wild box turtles will work very hard at trying to back to their home range. If they're not native to your area, then it would be ok to keep it, but first you need to try to find its owner. Put up fliers on the utility poles around the area where you found him, advertise on Craigslist, etc.

Just a note about box turtles, for you, Evie, (and anyone else who wants to pick one up out of the wild). Box turtles are protected in most of their home range. Before you decide to take one home from the wild you need to know your state's regulations about them. Picking up wild turtles and tortoises usually comes with a hefty fine.