What kind of turtle here?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
A dear friend lives in Chattanooga, and volunteers at a wildlife rescue/sanctuary. The turtle in this photo had accidentally blundered into someone’s yard where the homeowner’s dog chewed on it. The homeowner rescued it and took it to a vet. The vet determined the edges of the carapace were a bit damaged, but no real problems required treatment. That vet also does some work for the sanctuary, so they brought it to them for a little R and R before release. Since no one is sure where it came from, my friend was asked to release it in the woods behind her house.
The sanctuary people are calling it a “woodland box turtle” which I never heard of.
What kind do you think this is?
I’m guessing female eastern box turtle, but I’m not really knowledgeable about box turtles.

Attachments

• IMG_8066.png
    IMG_8066.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8065.png
    IMG_8065.png
    834.2 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't Id it but sadly they need to learn better at releasing. S/He needs to be released close to where it was found.
Please inform them to not just release it any place. It will try to get back to its territory.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I can't Id it but sadly they need to learn better at releasing. S/He needs to be released close to where it was found.
Please inform them to not just release it any place. It will try to get back to its

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Apparently the vet told them that recent research has indicated that releasing a box turtle away from its original territory is not as dire as believed.
Who knows? 🤷🏼‍♀️
I sure don’t! 🙃

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everything I have ever read, even on here it is. They will spend their life trying to get back to their territory. Not that they will die, but always traveling further than they normally would in a day and across terrain they don't know and likely dangerous to try and get back home.
Sadly vets don't know much about turtles or tortoises. You'd think the rescue would have a better clue.
Sad!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like an older Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina carolina

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I’m guessing female eastern box turtle,

how big is this turtle? i don't believe terrapene carolina carolina exist in louisiana ? the white iris i've seen before in gulf coast box turtles......possibly a gulf coast or a gulf coast x three toed hybrid....... i would want to be certain it is a native wild turtle before i let it go..... was it found in a residential area? are box turtles found where this one was found?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's adorable. I agree with Wellington. Hope this works out for the best for the poor little guy.