What permits do I need and how do I ge them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
So because someone else posted a thread similar to this one I wanted to know for myself. I am 13 and want to breed Russian tortoise's this spring, but it never occurred to me that I might need a permit. How old do I have to be to get one and where do I get one? As you can tell from my user name I live in Palmdale CA also I would like to breed Leopards in 7-8 years how would I go about that? Thanks TFO members :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need any permits my friend. This is one of the few areas that the government is still not involved in.

Good luck. I hope you get lots and lots of babies!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
You don't need any permits my friend. This is one of the few areas that the government is still not involved in.

Good luck. I hope you get lots and lots of babies!

Really? Even with selling them? I hope it stays like that until I can breed some Leopard's :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Only tortoise that requires a permit to breed in CA, is the CDT, and it is very difficult to get one, you usually have to work through a program to get one.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
California is where all the law writers live so you guys can do what you want, everyone else has to follow them lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Truth be told, this is part of the reason I choose to work with tortoises over some other species of animals that I really like. Their is no government involvement with most tortoise species. This is another reason I don't do much with CDTs, which I love. They are regulated, permitted and there are all sorts of rules, regulations and stipulations with them. No thanks. I will decide what is best for the tortoises in my care, not some remote bureaucratic branch of government with enforcement officers of questionable intelligence, character and values.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Ok, so i have a question for everyone. How long does it usually take for your Leopard tortoise eggs to incubate? YOU personally I don't want to know the usually for everyone I want to know from YOU personally as individuals. Thank you :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Ok, so i have a question for everyone. How long does it usually take for your Leopard tortoise eggs to incubate? YOU personally I don't want to know the usually for everyone I want to know from YOU personally as individuals. Thank you :)

You would need a permit for a Radiated tortoise, to ship in and out of California. Im sure you will have one someday :D Aim High. Im not sure about leopard eggs but redfoot eggs take 4 to 6 months. Ive got about 20 eggs in the incubator. Would your parents let you have a baby redfoot or 2

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
bigred said:
TortoiseBoy1999 said:

You would need a permit for a Radiated tortoise, to ship in and out of California. Im sure you will have one someday :D Aim High. Im not sure about leopard eggs but redfoot eggs take 4 to 6 months. Ive got about 20 eggs in the incubator. Would your parents let you have a baby redfoot or 2
Is the radiated permit only for those coming outside from california?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need a CBW permit to cross state lines with a radiated. Galops too. If you buy either one of these species from within your own state, you don't need any permits. Everything else is free and clear to my knowledge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer the other question, leopard incubation depends. The Gpp subspecies needs a diapause (cooling period) then a room temp period, then they can be incubated. Different people have different "recipes" for how long they like to take at each stage. The breeder mine came from leaves them in the ground to incubate. He says they take from 12-18 months in the ground. Then it will depend on what temp you incubate them at.

Gpb eggs don't need a diapuase. I incubated a bunch at 88 and it took them around 100-106 days. Ask Neal how long Gpb eggs take in the ground.
Many captive U.S. leopards are mixes of different types from throughout their range. This greatly complicates an otherwise fairly simple answer.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
bigred said:
Would your parents let you have a baby redfoot or 2

Nah, not to offend anyone or anything but I don't think I could really handle RF's. You know, with them being Omnivores and all. I'll admit they are really cool. But not quite the tortoise for me ;) But I do like seeing other people with them :D

EricIvins

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
bigred said:
Would your parents let you have a baby redfoot or 2

Nah, not to offend anyone or anything but I don't think I could really handle RF's. You know, with them being Omnivores and all. I'll admit they are really cool. But not quite the tortoise for me ;) But I do like seeing other people with them :D

You do realize Leopards are omnivorous also? Same goes for just about any Tortoise species.......

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
EricIvins said:
You do realize Leopards are omnivorous also? Same goes for just about any Tortoise species.......

Yes, but RF's need more meat than most tortoise species.... I mean a Leopard's can live without any meat. But RF's HAVE to have some meat.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
EricIvins said:

Yes, but RF's need more meat than most tortoise species.... I mean a Leopard's can live without any meat. But RF's HAVE to have some meat.

No.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Laura said:
RF can get thier meat protien from other things besides pinkies... cooked chicken, cat food... ...

Ok I'm sorry! I said I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I just said that, that is probably not the right tortoise for me. I don't have anything against RF's. Please forgive me people, I wasn't trying to make it seem like I was looking down upon RF's. I'll admit they are really cool :tort:'s :)

Status
Not open for further replies.