What permits do I need and how do I ge them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
...I would like to breed Leopards in 7-8 years how would I go about that? Thanks TFO members :)

Nothing special...you just need a pair of compatible size adults and away you go.

Incubation periods will vary a lot. Typically 3 - 4 months artificially is all it takes, though I have had some take almost 8 months artificially. If you leave them in ground, it could take over a year.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Neal said:
Nothing special...you just need a pair of compatible size adults and away you go.

Incubation periods will vary a lot. Typically 3 - 4 months artificially is all it takes, though I have had some take almost 8 months artificially. If you leave them in ground, it could take over a year.

Ok. I only have one Leopard but I'm selling my Russian's to get 3 more baby Leopards :D Hopefully I'll get at least get one girl and one boy out of those 4 :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Baoh said:

That's what people on here have told me. And I have read that Leopard's don't need meat.

Tortoise boy, you have the general right idea. Boah and Eric like to be very technical at times and I don't know if they realize your age. Yes, tortoises are opportunists. Leopards can! and sometimes will! eat some meat if the opportunity presents itself. I have been told they are eat a fair amount of mammal feces in the wild too. Mostly from ungulates (like gazelle for example), but occasionally from a carnivore as well.

Most keepers agree that redfoots do require, or maybe "prefer" is a better word choice, more protein in their diet than some other species, but yes technically they can live with out it.

Those guys are not offended, they are just pointing out a technical inaccuracy, and not sugar coating it for you. Don't worry about it. You've done nothing offensive.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
Tortoise boy, you have the general right idea. Boah and Eric like to be very technical at times and I don't know if they realize your age. Yes, tortoises are opportunists. Leopards can! and sometimes will! eat some meat if the opportunity presents itself. I have been told they are eat a fair amount of mammal feces in the wild too. Mostly from ungulates (like gazelle for example), but occasionally from a carnivore as well.

Most keepers agree that redfoots do require, or maybe "prefer" is a better word choice, more protein in their diet than some other species, but yes technically they can live with out it.

Those guys are not offended, they are just pointing out a technical inaccuracy, and not sugar coating it for you. Don't worry about it. You've done nothing offensive.

Thank you Tom for clearing that up :) Yes, in case you guys didn't know I'm 13 :p

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Baoh said:

That's what people on here have told me. And I have read that Leopard's don't need meat.

Protein is a requirement for all of these species, but the source of that can be from several options. You can keep them well without giving meat to any of them. You can keep them well with giving meat to any of them.

My leopards will take down isopods and the occasional small garden snail without my prompting. Most of these animals will consume what they come across in order to take nutritional advantage in the somewhat harsh situation that nature can provide.

There are vegetable sources, animal sources, fungal sources, algal sources, and so on. The bulk of many tortoises diets will have the greatest proportion of nutrients coming from plant matter, but it is normal for any of these species to consume some muscle tissue if they have it available to them. If the idea of giving them animal flesh puts you off, you can achieve fine care with vegetable protein. You could use eggs instead of outright flesh if that is more comfortable for you.

There is no biological law that mandates a red foot, for example, must be given meat and at any particular interval. However, it will require bioavailable protein in order to maintain its lean body mass and it will require more to increase its lean body mass. While protein can be deaminated to synthesize glucose for energy, it is easiest to think of protein as primarily the building blocks of tissue and carbohydrates and lipids as primarily energy media (with some exceptions such as lipid membranes or structural polysaccharides [sugars linked together]). Meat can serve this need. Other things can as well. Meat is easiest from a complete amino acid profile standpoint, but soy, eggs, and some other less common exceptions or combinations can serve the same requirement.

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Tom said:

Thank you Tom for clearing that up :) Yes, in case you guys didn't know I'm 13 :p

Like Tom said, definitely not offensive to me.

Age is not a handicap. :) It is one kind of advantage on the low end and another kind of advantage on the high end. I would feel shorted if people held this kind of information back from me when I was 13, so I offer you the same informational respect I would expect.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Baoh said:
Protein is a requirement for all of these species, but the source of that can be from several options. You can keep them well without giving meat to any of them. You can keep them well with giving meat to any of them.

My leopards will take down isopods and the occasional small garden snail without my prompting. Most of these animals will consume what they come across in order to take nutritional advantage in the somewhat harsh situation that nature can provide.

There are vegetable sources, animal sources, fungal sources, algal sources, and so on. The bulk of many tortoises diets will have the greatest proportion of nutrients coming from plant matter, but it is normal for any of these species to consume some muscle tissue if they have it available to them. If the idea of giving them animal flesh puts you off, you can achieve fine care with vegetable protein. You could use eggs instead of outright flesh if that is more comfortable for you.

There is no biological law that mandates a red foot, for example, must be given meat and at any particular interval. However, it will require bioavailable protein in order to maintain its lean body mass and it will require more to increase its lean body mass. While protein can be deaminated to synthesize glucose for energy, it is easiest to think of protein as primarily the building blocks of tissue and carbohydrates and lipids as primarily energy media (with some exceptions such as lipid membranes or structural polysaccharides [sugars linked together]). Meat can serve this need. Other things can as well. Meat is easiest from a complete amino acid profile standpoint, but soy, eggs, and some other less common exceptions or combinations can serve the same requirement.

Like Tom said, definitely not offensive to me.

Age is not a handicap. :) It is one kind of advantage on the low end and another kind of advantage on the high end. I would feel shorted if people held this kind of information back from me when I was 13, so I offer you the same informational respect I would expect.

Ok. Thank you :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Laura said:
RF can get thier meat protien from other things besides pinkies... cooked chicken, cat food... ...

Ok I'm sorry! I said I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I just said that, that is probably not the right tortoise for me. I don't have anything against RF's. Please forgive me people, I wasn't trying to make it seem like I was looking down upon RF's. I'll admit they are really cool :tort:'s :)

Dont worry about upsetting anyone, I just saw that you were in california and was going to give you a couple of my hatchlings when they hatch. I think its great that you know what species you want to work with. I figured it would be a good learning experience for you. Good luck to you and you can learn alot from these forum members

dmmj said:
bigred said:
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Ok, so i have a question for everyone. How long does it usually take for your Leopard tortoise eggs to incubate? YOU personally I don't want to know the usually for everyone I want to know from YOU personally as individuals. Thank you :)

You would need a permit for a Radiated tortoise, to ship in and out of California. Im sure you will have one someday :D Aim High. Im not sure about leopard eggs but redfoot eggs take 4 to 6 months. Ive got about 20 eggs in the incubator. Would your parents let you have a baby redfoot or 2
Is the radiated permit only for those coming outside from california?

If you live in Calif you can buy a radiated tortoise in Calif. without a permit. You only need the permit if you want to buy a Radiated tortoise from out of state and have it shipped to you. I got mine about 6 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.