What shall i do when weeds turn zilch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Soo...
when the snow and frost comes and the weeds die out and turn to zilch?
what do you guys doo for your torts...
Weeds are tiago favourite....
Ive tried growing inside...FAIL....anything that can help me?
thankyou?

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
You mean you still have weeds?
Wow. Mine died long ago in the garden.
I've been collecting from the yard, I look like a mad woman walking round the horses fields and stables collecting weeds :p

My nana's growing weeds inside and i'm slowly building up a house/garden plant selection to plant in and keep Squirt going with plenty of selection to eat considering she needs to eat grasses and plants. Then I have tortoise food pellets that she doesn't like but instead just tips them everywhere all over her enclosure for me to pick out! :p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
OMw yours are dead mine are fine for now! :p :p
I got loads for now! :p
Tiago loves pellets! :p
thanks for your reply! ;)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I'll be raiding Tesco late at night for discount salad leaves, and grabbing a few weeds whenever I find them. We've not mowed the lawn in a couple of months, so at the moment we've got some HUGE dandelions growing and they look like they'll manage a long time, so there's hope left yet. :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
tyler0912 said:
LOL 10p bags?

Indeed. I'll pay up to 59p for a bag of salad, and they're usually about that price at 4pm-5pm. By 7pm, they've been reduced to 10p. A bag lasts two or three days before it goes off, and the shops are just over-cautious, so Emrys gets plenty of food for the cost. :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
What do you do when the weeds are zilch? You take your butt down to the local market & buy some greens silly boy!!! :D

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Well...duh...im talking weeds not veg....they dont sell plantain in morrisons...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Vegetable-A plant cultivated for an edible part, such as the root of the beet, the leaf of spinach, or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower.

Technically broadleaf plantains & dandelions would fall under this, but on the other hand I haven't got a freakin' clue wth a morrison is!

NOW GET YOUR BUTT TO THE MARKET! :D:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Know anyone with a greenhouse?

rasputin

5 Year Member
East Midlands UK
I live across from a wood, and stables. Because of the high trees there seems to be always something edible for them to eat there that I know hasn't been treated.

I do have a grass/ weed box for them with lights in the conservatory. Fingers crossed this will last, for at least some of the winter.

Also a conservatory full of all types of prickly pear, that should see them through.

But saying that just picked up a 8p bag in Tescos, there are gonna be some happy boys come morning lol.

Not looking forward to my 1st winter I must admit. But it will only help me to be better prepared for the next.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
rasputin said:
Well then you should be telling us anxious 1st timers lol

Lol last year....i was messed up on diet...But now im sorted out and a strict diet (off what he needs)
Daily...
I can't remember if i even fead him weeds before...LOL! :p

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Here's a suggestion that works wonders for me, Ty. Keep a journal of what you feed Tiago and that way you'll never forget! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can try growing radishes in window sills, they germinate and grow quickly ( 2 weeks) and then you can eat the radishes and feed the tops to tiago.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I have started to grow some of the edible prickly pear-it has no spines actually. It is doing quite well inside now and having about 4 plants will certainly see the hermanns babies through.
Other than that we have to buy the organic mixed leaves. I did buy some dried red clover and that Tortoise nutrition powder(wonder if they ship to UK? It lasts a long time) too to sprinkle on wet leaves. Also some oxbow hay-all finely chopped so it sticks to the wet leaves.
The British Chelonia Group sell red clover seeds for planting to feed tortoises too.

At least in the UK wouldn't you still find the odd dandelion in winter although not as crispy as the freshest ones in summer?Still be good fibre etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.