What should a healthy tortoises tail look like.

Shelldonn

Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I have a 4 year old hermanns tortoise and I am worried as its tail does not look the same as other hermann's tortoise any advice is greatly appreciated.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
A picture would really help the experts here let you know,and i'm not one of those people far from it;)

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi and welcome to the forum, i have a 2yr old hermanns, if you post some pics we can compare

Shelldonn

Lancaster
Here is a picture of the tail.

Attachments

• 20220301_181415.jpg
    20220301_181415.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220301_181411.jpg
    20220301_181411.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 13

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
i'm not an expert but maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G could advise, but tbh i don't really see anything wrong, but like i said, i'm no expert

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like the actual tail was bitten off by another tortoise. I have a couple yellowfoot tortoises that that happened to

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No they have always been housed by there selves
Females have shorter tails. That is what this looks like, but it also looks a little swollen around the cloacal area.

I also notice what appears to be sand all around the area. This is bad. Tortoises should not be house on sand. Over time they ingest it and it can cause a blockage or constipation. When they are constipated, the cloacal area will sometime swell up like that. Long soaks and the right diet can help clear it, if that is that problem.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise legs look dehydrated as suggested up the soaks to encourage drinking and hydration.

Shelldonn

Lancaster
Females have shorter tails. That is what this looks like, but it also looks a little swollen around the cloacal area.

I also notice what appears to be sand all around the area. This is bad. Tortoises should not be house on sand. Over time they ingest it and it can cause a blockage or constipation. When they are constipated, the cloacal area will sometime swell up like that. Long soaks and the right diet can help clear it, if that is that problem.
They had just walked through there water bowl, as for changing the substrate I have kept reptiles on wood chip before would this be a good substrate to put my tortoise on. They are currently on pets at homes tortoise terrain.

Shelldonn

Lancaster

They had just walked through there water bowl, as for changing the substrate I have kept reptiles on wood chip before would this be a good substrate to put my tortoise on. They are currently on

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They had just walked through there water bowl, as for changing the substrate I have kept reptiles on wood chip before would this be a good substrate to put my tortoise on. They are currently on
There is a lot of bad tortoise care info out in the world. That Pets At Home substrate is dangerous and should not be sold. How could anyone think it is a good idea to encourage a tortoise to eat sandy substrate by putting little calcium bits in it? Your tortoise is likely blocked up from accumulated sand in the GI tract. An X-ray can confirm or deny this possibility.

In any case, you need to remove that substrate ASAP and replace it with fine grade orchid bark, AKA "Repti-bark".

Here is all the current and correct care info, including substrate. Questions are welcome:

Shelldonn

Lancaster
I will change his substrate tonight, I did not know about calcium in the pets at home bedding. He lucky still has his appetite and is passing waist.