What species to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I am thinking of getting a tortoise. I am 14 years old so obviously i have school and i participate in sports so im gone for about 8-10 hours a day. And both my parents work during the day. What species would be the best to get based on our lifestyle. Also i have a 6 year old brother who is well behaved. And i have 2 cats, would that be a problem for a tortoise? Please help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where do you live and what kind of space do you have indoors and out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises aren't like dogs, so they don't need or want a lot of attention. However, you do need to be able to spend some time with them every day, feeding, cleaning up any poop or uneaten food, feeding, giving fresh water and hopefully bringing them outside for some great natural sun time, daily or if not a hatchling, weekly soaks. Once you get the enclosure set correctly with temps, lighting and humidity , then it's just a few minutes a couple times a day that is needed. A Russian tortoise is a great beginner tort. Hermanns and Greeks too. Search them on here and read up to decide which may fit you better. Cats usually aren't a problem, the little brother, I don't know, are they usually a pain:D. I'm kidding, as long as he understands the rules of treating an animal kindly.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much for the help. My mom and i have been explaining to my little brother about not handling the tortoise without help and supervision. What about the size though, about how big of an enclosure would i need, i realize this varies but just like an estimate works. Thanks

I live in northern illinois. We have a very large yard. But i dont know about how much room there would be for it inside yet. But we have a decent sized house

doletorts

10 Year Member!
They do spray pesticides on the corn field across the road from my neighborhood and the crop duster flies over our house. I dont know if it spays over our house but im sure the wind blows it over from the cornfield so i wouldnt have it living outside. So i would need a smaller species.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Even smaller species like the mediterranean tortoises like outside time, not only the big ones. Is there some part of the yard which is protected from the wind?

I just read in another thread of yours that they only spray once a year. Mayybe you could keep the tort inside during that time and let it have outside time once the pesticides are gone (I'm guessing after 2-3 months?). Just plant some weeds etc. After they are done spraying into new soil, so that there won't be pesticides on the food.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Have you considered a box turtle? They are terrestrial (live on land), and are native to your area.

Then it could be an outside pet with very nearly no care required, and still be an intersteing pet.

An older turtle book called "turtles and their care" by John Hoke, isbn # 531-02406 (paperback) is an excellent reference for setting up a year round outdoor enclosure in your climate.

Another more recent, but more rare book by Donald Zeiller, called "so, you like turtles" is good too.

I had several box turtles living in the backyard of my parents home while growing up. Was on a swim team, in Boy Scouts, etc. Then I moved away to go to college. Those box turtles took care of themselves, and my mother always enjoyed putting garden snails out for them as she did her gardening.

If you do a good job, those turtles can outlive you, let alone your interest. So box turtles in the back yard may be more suitable, than a non-native species.

Will

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: What species to get?

But for that kind of pet a wild box turtle would have to walk into her yard first. And the problem of the pesticides still wouldn't be solved..

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I would go with Pancakes, they do not get large(7in at most) and do not require a lot of room. The enclosure can be built with levels in mind for them to exercise. You can keep them indoor if pesticides are a big concern as well, it is not ideal, but you don't want a dead tort on your hands.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Now that i think about it they dont spray in our front yard which is far enough away. But would i need an outdoor enclosure too or just an indoor one and then take the tortoise outside and watch it so it doesnt get into trouble

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
If you take your tortoise imto the yard I'd defenitely build some kind of enclosure. Yu just need to be distracted for a moment, and poof, the tortoise'a gone. If your yard is fenced in cimpletely this wouldn't be such an issue.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I'd go with a Russian tortoise. I got one a few months ago as an early birthday/graduation present and she is great. She's very easy to care for (just needs to be fed, soaked, and taken outside once in a while) and my family and friends love her. She is one of my favorites of our pets (3 dogs, 2 cats, tortoise, mouse and a chicken, possibly more in the near future) and is definitely the quietest :) . Right now she is brumating (is that how you spell it?), which is like tortoise hibernation, so she is even easier to take care of!

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Ok thank you. My yard isnt closed in so i will think of enclosure ideas. How big would u suggest for a greek tortoise.

I see alot of people saying russian tortoise but most of the local petstores only seem to have greek though. I will look though

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
As big as you can get. :p

It depends on how old your tortoise is. For a very young one you will want a small enclosure which you can secure easily against predators. When the tortoise grows, so will the enclosure.

For a fully grown greek you shouldn't go below 40 square feet (IMO). If you can go bigger, good! My outside enclosure for my hermann's tortoise is about 130 square feet and I couldn't imagine going any smaller, he's so active.

Maybe someone else will pitch in with more opinions and more advice. :)

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Thank you

How about those zoo med tortoise houses. Would that be alright for an indoor enclosure

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
As I do not have An indoor enclosure I'm going to leave the advice about those to the experts. ;)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you get a Greek, Herman's or Russian, outside part of the year is best. So make this your focus. Taking a tortoise outside is risky; many stories of the owner looking away for a second and the tortoise melts into the landscape. They are very, very good at this.
For the restnof the hear, unless the tort is hatchling size, the Zoo Med is too small. You're better with a used bookcase on its side with shelves removed and lined.
We can advise you about the type if tortoise or turle, and enclosures more easily if we know what your climate is like, what general part of the country you live in.

Chinque said:
Right now she is brumating (is that how you spell it?), which is like tortoise hibernation, so she is even easier to take care of!
Unless your temps are under 50, your tortoise isn't brumating, whcih generally occurs in winter, for those torts who aren't kept warm and well lit.
If temps are too hot she could be trying to stay cool by burrowing.
Make sure your temps and lighting are correct.

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Ok..... Well how big of a bookcase would you say

Would i be able to get a smaller bookcase and maybe add a second level if im short on space

And i live in northern illinois. So warm sometimes wet summers, and cold winters

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Go look through the threads in the "Enclosures" section, you will find lots of inspiration regarding size and design. There's quite a few tortoise tables with a second story.

Status
Not open for further replies.