Best species for what I can provide?

Cendalla

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, North America
Ok, I'm new here and still stumbling my way through. You guys were referred to me from BP.net by some of the members.

I have been keeping snakes for several years and have gotten into tarantulas about a year and a half ago. I have always wanted to add a tortoise to the family and feel that we are ready. So I'm diving into research mode.

I would like to know the best species for where I live and what I can provide. I am in the north western part of Washington (USA). We get pretty wet here and winter can be cold but not overly harsh (we usually get snow for about a week and some freezing after its melted off). Summers are mellow and probably peek at the beginning of August. We may get several days of temps in the 90s but not too long.

I have my own place so no worries about moving. I have the entire bottom floor of a split entry house (about 600sf) that I can dedicate. I will be building an enclosure- I have no intention of letting anyone just cruse around. Don't want any critters to get hurt.

It/they would only be outside during the nicer parts of summer. Its just too cool and damp here to be outdoor 24/7. I am hoping to put in a large green house in time that could extent the critter's out door time.

I realize that lighting, heat, humidity, and diet will need to be carefully maintained with it/them being mostly indoors.

Are there species that I should completely avoid? What ones should I take a close look at? Is it better to just keep one or are multiple preferred?

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Thank you,
Erin

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Russians, hermanns, Greeks, are pretty good beginner tortoises and all stay fairly small. I personally, feel you can do any one you want, depending on what you can afford to do for them. With the lower level you have, it would be pretty easier to do most species. Do you have a large yard? Take a look at Toms threads below for raising sulcatas and Leopards. Most species do best as a single tortoise. Pairs don't do good, three or more can do good, but must always be prepared to separate and give individual enclosures.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
With Washington not having great weather(a bit like the UK tbh) I would go with a hermanni, graeca, or Russian. All good species which we understand a lot about, and are fine down to constant lows below 50 outside. They do all hibernate in winter-minus some subspecies of graeca. That said, with 600sq ft of space you could always try your hand at a breeding group, and while all do reproduce frequently in captivity, mating of testudo genus tortoises can be quite aggressive.
If you are up for a bit of a challenge, you could get a Burmese Mountain Tortoise. Very cold hardy as adults, grow to about 40cm-for mee- and 60cm-for mep- and have great personality. Just a thought.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you will gain the best insight from others who live in or near that area. Send a PM to Sulcata Sandy or Cowboy Ken.

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world, its just a question of how much time, effort and expense you will have to put into it to do it "right".

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What size tortoise are you thinking? Do yo want one that only eats plants or would being a fruit and protein eater also be okay? Do you want one who could be burmated/hibernated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Erin:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Cendalla

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Russians, hermanns, Greeks, are pretty good beginner tortoises and all stay fairly small. I personally, feel you can do any one you want, depending on what you can afford to do for them. With the lower level you have, it would be pretty easier to do most species. Do you have a large yard? Take a look at Toms threads below for raising sulcatas and Leopards. Most species do best as a single tortoise. Pairs don't do good, three or more can do good, but must always be prepared to separate and give individual enclosures.

My house is on an a little more than an acre. Only about a third of it is clear at the moment. The rest blends in with forest. Thanks for the info!

FLINTUS said:
With Washington not having great weather(a bit like the UK tbh) I would go with a hermanni, graeca, or Russian. All good species which we understand a lot about, and are fine down to constant lows below 50 outside. They do all hibernate in winter-minus some subspecies of graeca. That said, with 600sq ft of space you could always try your hand at a breeding group, and while all do reproduce frequently in captivity, mating of testudo genus tortoises can be quite aggressive.
If you are up for a bit of a challenge, you could get a Burmese Mountain Tortoise. Very cold hardy as adults, grow to about 40cm-for mee- and 60cm-for mep- and have great personality. Just a thought.

If I started with one would it be possible to add others to it later or is it best to have them at the same time. I can almost picture my chickens ganging up on a new addition. After quarantining them what would be the best way to introduce?

The Burmese Mountains sound interesting- Is there a good info source you can suggest for them?

Tom said:
I think you will gain the best insight from others who live in or near that area. Send a PM to Sulcata Sandy or Cowboy Ken.
Tom said:

I will do that (as soon as I figure out where and how) :)

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world, its just a question of how much time, effort and expense you will have to put into it to do it "right".

Especially with us engineering and maintaining the environment they live in. I don't have a ton of money to toss around but I feel that I can do pretty well by the little guy as long I do thorough research. I don't want t make mistakes out of ignorance.

Jacqui said:
What size tortoise are you thinking? Do yo want one that only eats plants or would being a fruit and protein eater also be okay? Do you want one who could be burmated/hibernated?

I'm open to any size. I would love the mediums to large. But from what I've been told the Sulcata do better outside where they could graze and roam around.

I'm not picky about the diet requirements. I would just need to find the best source of protein if I got a protein eater. I would probably have to order online because we just have chain shops here.

I've been reading that if you could provide adequate temperatures and food that they don't need to be burmated/hibernated?

Yvonne G said:
Hi Erin:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You seem to have a very mature, practical, pragmatic view on how to do this. I think you will be successful with what ever you decide to do.

I think you need to research and try to see all the different commonly available species in person, or maybe on youtube, and find which ones appeal to you the most for whatever reason. Only you can decide what traits and habits matter most or don't matter at all to you. Once you have narrowed it down a bit, then you can look at how easy or difficult it would be to integrate that species into your particular environments. Ease of keeping in my climate and environment is a big factor in my choice of species to work with. For others personality or appearance matters more, and so they are more willing to worker harder at providing the right environment.

We are all happy to share our views if you have questions along the way. I think this forum will give you a wide variety of opinions on any given species.

Happy hunting. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have learned on this forum, if you think,you would like more then one, get them at the same time. I wish I had when I got my leopard. Seems members that do, have really good luck with them getting along. Besides, it saves from having to go through the quarantine period.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I don't keep Burmese Mountain Tortoises myself but there are a few which do on here-go onto that specific species section of the forum. Sum of it is though, high humidity, lowish temps compared to other torts and a diet typical of a forest tortoise. The Norfolk Tortoise Club has a good caresheet for them.

Cendalla

Tom said:
You seem to have a very mature, practical, pragmatic view on how to do this. I think you will be successful with what ever you decide to do.
Thank you!
I think you need to research and try to see all the different commonly available species in person, or maybe on youtube, and find which ones appeal to you the most for whatever reason. Only you can decide what traits and habits matter most or don't matter at all to you. Once you have narrowed it down a bit, then you can look at how easy or difficult it would be to integrate that species into your particular environments. Ease of keeping in my climate and environment is a big factor in my choice of species to work with. For others personality or appearance matters more, and so they are more willing to worker harder at providing the right environment.
I look towards what their need would be before personality too. I'm pretty sure that I can achieve a setup that is needed but I also have to consider what would be doable if I had to leave town or was sick. If I had to have family or a friend look in on them for me it would be hard to make them thrive if they had very exotic requirements. Given their looong life span its very possible to run into challenges.
We are all happy to share our views if you have questions along the way. I think this forum will give you a wide variety of opinions on any given species.

Not even 24 hours of lurking and I have already found a ton of things to consider. Good information is paramount! I cringe just thinking about people that follow the average pet store's advice:(

Happy hunting. :)

wellington said:
From what I have learned on this forum, if you think,you would like more then one, get them at the same time. I wish I had when I got my leopard. Seems members that do, have really good luck with them getting along. Besides, it saves from having to go through the quarantine period.

That makes sense. I have no plans to breed- I just want to spoil them so maybe it would be easier to pick up clutch mates. But then I really worry about keeping young ones healthy. I can't help but think of my tarantulas and their rate of sling mortality. Its bad enough losing a baby arachnid. It would just plain suck to lose a baby tortoise!

Cendalla

FLINTUS said:
I don't keep Burmese Mountain Tortoises myself but there are a few which do on here-go onto that specific species section of the forum. Sum of it is though, high humidity, lowish temps compared to other torts and a diet typical of a forest tortoise. The Norfolk Tortoise Club has a good caresheet for them.

They really do seem interesting and I like that I could get them more outside time than some of the other species. I would need to work out ambiant humidity though. Right now its cold and dry. I just have to give my snakes and tarantulas a morning misting. I'm not sure if that would cut it for a tortoise.

I'll hop on over to the club and read away. Thank you!

mikeh

5 Year Member
For the climate, of larger size tortoise species Manouria Emys Phayrei would be the one that can spend most of the time outdoors once they reach older juvenile/sub adult size. With greenhouse, prob all year round. The moist/wet/humid climate, heavy green vegetation, and even the cooler temps are all very ideal for this species.
The smaller one of the two subspecies, Manouria Emys Emys on the other hand is not as cold hardy. As one very experienced keeper on this forum simply
put it, M.E.E. have no concept of cold.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just putting this out there, there may currently be a male redfoot up for adoption in WA. This is if you are interested in redfooted or in a subadult.

Cendalla

mikeh said:
For the climate, of larger size tortoise species Manouria Emys Phayrei would be the one that can spend most of the time outdoors once they reach older juvenile/sub adult size. With greenhouse, prob all year round. The moist/wet/humid climate, heavy green vegetation, and even the cooler temps are all very ideal for this species.
The smaller one of the two subspecies, Manouria Emys Emys on the other hand is not as cold hardy. As one very experienced keeper on this forum simply
put it, M.E.E. have no concept of cold.
The Emys Phayrei really seem interesting. I'll have to start saving some pennies if I want to have more then one!

Jacqui said:
Just putting this out there, there may currently be a male redfoot up for adoption in WA. This is if you are interested in redfooted or in a subadult.
I wouldn't mind adopting at all. I will probably look into doing that first but I'm not ready to bring one home yet. I'm still on research mode. I need to get a solid grasp of temps, humidity, and food. I want to have the enclosure and everything smoothly operating before I bring one home :) I think the rescue group out here have a booth at the shows. I'll have to check in with them during the next.