What Species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintan.dave

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

My friend found this turtle (pics attached) in our building's compound. We call him 'Nutcase' :D Could you help me identify the breed and what care needs to be taken care......

Awaiting your response!

Regards,
Chintan Dave

Attachments

• 20130728_164821.jpg
    20130728_164821.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 149
  • 20130728_163840.jpg
    20130728_163840.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 119

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: What Breed?

Hello and Welcome:). I think that is a star tortoise, I may be wrong. However, I would bet its someone's pet they lost. You should try to find the owner before you keep it for yourself.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Indeed it is an Indian star tortoise. Geochelone elegans. For sure has to be someone's lost animal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Unless you're living in India, where the tortoise comes from, it is someone's lost/escaped pet. They have paid lots of $$$ for that tortoise and I'm sure they'd love to have it back. Put up flyers on the utility posts around the friend's neighborhood, and maybe place a craigslist ad in the lost and found. But don't give out too much info. Just say, "found tortoise" and let the caller identify what they've lost.

meh1911

5 Year Member
Re: What Breed?

Yup. Indian Star tortoise and probably someone's pet. You should ask around and try to find out who owns it. For advice and pointers, visit the Indian star tortoise sub-forum.

meh1911 and Girdhari (A 3.5-inch long Indian Star)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Please keep it warm and safe while locating owner. I would say not below 80 - 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ann from CT

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Very nice Star. Like AnnV said, keep him warm and give him/her a soak in warm water. Take a look at list of foods to feed this little one and what NOT to feed him. Good luck with finding the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.