What to eat locally? - Mesa, AZ

MesaSully

Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I have access to over 4 acres of natural desert in Mesa, AZ. What local desert vegetation can my sulcatan eat or not eat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There isn't much growing out there naturally that I know of that is good for sulcatas.

You'll probably have to plant and maintain your own stuff like mulberry trees, grape vines, opuntia, grasses, alfalfa, lavatera, etc...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This native plant list was written specifically for Desert Tortoises, but is applicable for sulcatas too. It's not a perfect list, but should give you a good point of reference.

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/w_c/tortoise/new/DesertTortoiseDiet.pdf

Winter is a good time for edible weeds in our area with Mallow being very prevalent. That should start sprouting very soon.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
You should be able to find Opuntia & other edible cacti in the desert around Mesa, but it depends on how large your Sulcatas are as to whether they can digest them. Give us a bit more info on your tortoises, & we can be of more help.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should be able to find Opuntia & other edible cacti in the desert around Mesa, but it depends on how large your Sulcatas are as to whether they can digest them. Give us a bit more info on your tortoises, & we can be of more help.

Welcome to the forum.

Ken

I feed opuntia to everything from new hatchlings to large adults. Which size can't digest opuntia?

MesaSully

Mesa, AZ
If it is good for the small ones, how often can they be given the opuntia?