what to feed my russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I usually feed them different kinds of lettuce, but I was also planning on growing a few plants in a litter box for them to munch on. What would be some good plants to grow and how should I go about doing it? (I was never the gardner so I know very little about plants)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russians will eat grass when the plantlet is very young, but mostly they like to eat broad-leafed plants such as chia, dandelion, any of the lettuces, clover,etc. You can sprinkle vegetable seeds in the litter pan and the tortoise will eat the plants as they grow.

Yvonne

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys, what kind of lighting would I need to grow these different plants?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They really need the sun to make them into strong plantlets. You can plant several different litter pans with the various seeds, let them be in the sun (be sure to keep them watered), then rotate the pans into your tortoise habitat, putting it back outside when it needs more sun.

Yvonne

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jamest0o0 said:
That's what I figured, sounds good. Thanks!

During the winter, you can get a shop light from Walmart, and put a plant grow fluorescent light over the plant containers. Or if you don't have really cold weather you can build a frame covered with plastic to put over the top of the containers outside like a mini greenhouse.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.