What to look for in a vet

GloomySeagull

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I'm looking for tips on what to look for in an herpetologist/vet. I did do a search of the forum, and maybe this question wasn't asked because it's obvious, not applicable, etc so correct me please if I'm out of bounds here.

My interest in tortoises started with the passing of my Boxer. The appeal of having a lifelong companion was a profound and sudden one for me, and after doing some preliminary research, i found that I've got quite a few exotic/reptile vets in my area (like 3, but thats more than I thought I would find ?).

That being said, I realize torts are not dogs and may not need the yearly vet visits or the stress that comes with them, but I also realize that it would be good to have a plan of action in place if/when a tort would need to be seen. So what do I look for in an exotic/reptile vet?

Outside of reviews, what is a red flag to you before or after you get in the door?

Ive been working at small animal vets for the better part of 7 years, and in that time, ive seen misdiagnosed pups, negligent vets, and poorly handled pets. If I go to a small animal vet, there are several things that would stand out to me as possible red flags, but unfortunately, I dont have that knowledge when it comes to tortoises.

Anything you can share will be helpful! Thank you in advance ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First don't take one to the vet unless absolutely needed. This forum can likely help you first.
Then, you need to find one that actually has lots of experience with tortoises not just reptiles. Even if the vet owns tortoises doesn't mean they are up on the latest best ways, so check that out. Do they raise and/or care for those with the way the caresheets on this forum recommends.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm looking for tips on what to look for in an herpetologist/vet. I did do a search of the forum, and maybe this question wasn't asked because it's obvious, not applicable, etc so correct me please if I'm out of bounds here.

My interest in tortoises started with the passing of my Boxer. The appeal of having a lifelong companion was a profound and sudden one for me, and after doing some preliminary research, i found that I've got quite a few exotic/reptile vets in my area (like 3, but thats more than I thought I would find ?).

That being said, I realize torts are not dogs and may not need the yearly vet visits or the stress that comes with them, but I also realize that it would be good to have a plan of action in place if/when a tort would need to be seen. So what do I look for in an exotic/reptile vet?

Outside of reviews, what is a red flag to you before or after you get in the door?

Ive been working at small animal vets for the better part of 7 years, and in that time, ive seen misdiagnosed pups, negligent vets, and poorly handled pets. If I go to a small animal vet, there are several things that would stand out to me as possible red flags, but unfortunately, I dont have that knowledge when it comes to tortoises.

Anything you can share will be helpful! Thank you in advance ?
I agree with Wellington, don't take your tort your tort unless you feel absolutely necessary. They're are not like cats and dogs, check ups are pretty unnecessary. If you stick around here on the forum you will learn a lot about what's correct, and what's not with tortoise care. You'll see what's recommended usually when going to the vet, and what's not. So if the time comes when you do have to go, you'll know your stuff going in. I learned on the tortoise Forum years ago to avoid calcium shots. I actually had to take my tortoise to a vet and the first vet immediately recommended a calcium shot. So I respectfully declined and found a much better vet who knew what they were doing. Also being that your are in GA, if you are anywhere near Athens (UGA) I highly recommend their exotic veterinary teaching hospital. You will not find better care in GA for your animal in my experience.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
GSeagull, 1st off VERY Smart move by coming here and asking the question!

I do not feel qualified to answer but listen to the advice you receive from these guys....this is the place the pros hang out. I do not say that lightly..........you are in very good hands here, just communicate well and have thick skin, no one tries to hurt anyone's feelings but remember that these folks are focused on your little guys interest first. This forum is a level beyond the norm.

Good luck....

GloomySeagull

Georgia
First don't take one to the vet unless absolutely needed. This forum can likely help you first.
Then, you need to find one that actually has lots of experience with tortoises not just reptiles. Even if the vet owns tortoises doesn't mean they are up on the latest best ways, so check that out. Do they raise and/or care for those with the way the caresheets on this forum recommends.
Ive been digging on the forum for a few days now and have found so much information! Its neverending, and honestly, ive had a ton of fun parsing the information I've found and collecting it all. Thats definitely the core of my question though. Torts/herpetology seems like such a niche that I didnt know if I could expect all exotic/reptile vets to be knowledgeable or if it was anything like working at small animal hospitals/clinics, so thank you for this information!

GloomySeagull

Georgia
I agree with Wellington, don't take your tort your tort unless you feel absolutely necessary. They're are not like cats and dogs, check ups are pretty unnecessary. If you stick around here on the forum you will learn a lot about what's correct, and what's not with tortoise care. You'll see what's recommended usually when going to the vet, and what's not. So if the time comes when you do have to go, you'll know your stuff going in. I learned on the tortoise Forum years ago to avoid calcium shots. I actually had to take my tortoise to a vet and the first vet immediately recommended a calcium shot. So I respectfully declined and found a much better vet who knew what they were doing. Also being that your are in GA, if you are anywhere near Athens (UGA) I highly recommend their exotic veterinary teaching hospital. You will not find better care in GA for your animal in my experience.
I hope so! My brain feels so full with all the information I've seen and read that ive had to take breaks in between consuming it all. Read, notate, read again, etc.

I'm not near UGA but the vet I work at refers a few patients there every couple of months. With covid and everything, their schedule is typically pretty full, and considering they're a teaching hospital and don't directly depend on the income from the hospital to sustain themselves, they already don't take many appointments, so their wait list is usually months out.

I obviously hope to never need them, but knowing they come so highly recommended for torts is definitely comforting!!

GloomySeagull

Georgia
GSeagull, 1st off VERY Smart move by coming here and asking the question!

I do not feel qualified to answer but listen to the advice you receive from these guys....this is the place the pros hang out. I do not say that lightly..........you are in very good hands here, just communicate well and have thick skin, no one tries to hurt anyone's feelings but remember that these folks are focused on your little guys interest first. This forum is a level beyond the norm.

Good luck....
Thank you! I do consider myself to have thick skin, but if I'm doing something that would harm any animal, I really do hope someone, anyone really, will absolutely give me the thrashing of the century.

All's fair in fur and scales, and in the end, I want to make sure im doing what should be done how it should be done. Otherwise, whats the point!

Thank you again!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! I do consider myself to have thick skin, but if I'm doing something that would harm any animal, I really do hope someone, anyone really, will absolutely give me the thrashing of the century.

All's fair in fur and scales, and in the end, I want to make sure im doing what should be done how it should be done. Otherwise, whats the point!

Thank you again!
We won't give you a thrashing but some of us will 100% let you know. But like already said. It's all in concern for your shelled friend. Some of us try to sugar coat and then some of us get right to the point ?guilty.
With all the research your reading I think you will have an easy time of things but never hesitate to ask questions or for help.