What to put in my stars enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

min

5 Year Member
I only have a small enclosure for my star but what is safe to put in there? Likes hides etc? What kind of things are appropriate?
Thanks

min

5 Year Member
Thankyou, ill have a look at that. I didn't know I wanted a star until I found someone who was breeding tortoises who lives only half and hour away. So he told me which ones he had and the star sounded great! It's a beautiful little tortoise and I love looking after him, but he looks lonely in his tank and from the pics I've seen on here there's so much you can put in there. What tort do you have?

min

5 Year Member
That's lovely, and what I have in mind. I have gone and bought a flower pot for a hide, some moss and some coco for substrate. Would you advise having a mix of coco and wood chip? Also how do you go about having living food in the enclosure?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
min said:
That's lovely, and what I have in mind. I have gone and bought a flower pot for a hide, some moss and some coco for substrate. Would you advise having a mix of coco and wood chip? Also how do you go about having living food in the enclosure?

The substrate is aged leaf mulch mixed with decaying small sticks and yard dirt, I make it, and it takes at least 3 years to decompose to the right stage for enclosure use. What is in this enclosure is 4 to 5 year old mulch, the older the better to support plant growth and retain moisture.Lighting is also important to keep the plants alive, I use a 18 watt Interpet Triton Reptile bulb along with a 24 inch full spectrum tube in this enclosure and that seems adequate for both tortoise and plants.

min

5 Year Member
Oh wow, nothing ill be using in a hurry then :) thanks a lot for your advice. I hope the new stuff I have bought him does the trick and stops him looking like a small pebble in an empty tank

Ansh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge, UK
Hi! I've seen some of your messages. I have a pair of Indian Stars that I got from Marcus as well! My tortoises hatched in Aug and I got them at the end of Oct. it's quite possible we've got tortoises from the same clutch. I agree Marcus is brilliant. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to get a star tort in the UK. How are you getting on? Would be good to exchange notes!

Status
Not open for further replies.