What todo if turtle seems lethargic

labanog

Location (City and/or State)
ca
Hi Tortsperts, just want to ask some opinion, my lil one seems tobe lethargic ever since I got April, she is smallest of the group. Just wanted to ask what should I do or is this normal? seems not tobe eating also, avoid greens, small nibble of mizuri then walks away, havent seen April with lots of appetite, mostlg borrows in the hide. They are maybe 3 months old

1. I read it helps during soak to put apple juice or carrot juice? or baby food? which one should I use? if Juice would any brand works? most juices are sweet do i need to find an unsweetened kind?

also read that Hydrate Electrolyte helps? but not sure if we have that here in the Philippibes.

2. Since she is Lethargic is it correct I soak her daily for around 15 min? in warm water?

please see photo of her and her sibling, put them on a try for easier comparison, she is roughly 45g

thank you

Attachments

• 99F59883-C0B6-406F-AD20-79B7C00D2A43.jpeg
    99F59883-C0B6-406F-AD20-79B7C00D2A43.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • F72352B0-9257-4596-B8C4-ECC9265D11D2.jpeg
    F72352B0-9257-4596-B8C4-ECC9265D11D2.jpeg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 8

labanog

ca
Hi zero, yes already seperated the lil april w the rest and has her own enclosure. they used tobe in a 100cm long by 51cm, so roughly 39” inches by 19” inches.

any tips on the juice tobe added to the soaking water? should I do it? or just continue to observe if she will eat her food again?

on the second photo i tried to put papaya in the soak bath, but she doesnt seem to care for it, but notice she drinks water while in the soak. because i see her her bob down in the water

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not juice its baby food pureed carrots and piediyte added to soak water. You can try it and see if it helps. It won't hurt.
Post pics of the enclosure. Do you have plants in the enclosure or are they totally exposed? If they feel exposed some will hide away. Their preditors come from above and being exposed makes them want to hide away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tortsperts, just want to ask some opinion, my lil one seems tobe lethargic ever since I got April, she is smallest of the group. Just wanted to ask what should I do or is this normal? seems not tobe eating also, avoid greens, small nibble of mizuri then walks away, havent seen April with lots of appetite, mostlg borrows in the hide. They are maybe 3 months old

1. I read it helps during soak to put apple juice or carrot juice? or baby food? which one should I use? if Juice would any brand works? most juices are sweet do i need to find an unsweetened kind?

also read that Hydrate Electrolyte helps? but not sure if we have that here in the Philippibes.

2. Since she is Lethargic is it correct I soak her daily for around 15 min? in warm water?

please see photo of her and her sibling, put them on a try for easier comparison, she is roughly 45g

thank you
How are you housing this baby?
What are the temperatures?
What are you using for heating, lighting and UV?
What substrate?
What typer of enclosure?

All babies should be soaked daily for 30-40 minutes.

labanog

ca
How are you housing this baby?
What are the temperatures?
What are you using for heating, lighting and UV?
What substrate?
What typer of enclosure?

All babies should be soaked daily for 30-40 minutes.
Hi Tom,

1. For now using an open top bin.
2. Temp here in the Philippine indoor ranges from 80-88 C. rarely go below 80C
3. Daily lighting outside for maybe 30min in the morning sun around 10-11am. No UVB or Heatlamp, I used to put CHE but other people locally said since its tropical weather here in Phil, no need a heat source.
4. using zoo med repti bark
5. will post a picture

Attachments

• 3276EF2C-3CB6-49D7-B4DD-5F5C1B026604.jpeg
    3276EF2C-3CB6-49D7-B4DD-5F5C1B026604.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

labanog

ca
It's not juice its baby food pureed carrots and piediyte added to soak water. You can try it and see if it helps. It won't hurt.
Post pics of the enclosure. Do you have plants in the enclosure or are they totally exposed? If they feel exposed some will hide away. Their preditors come from above and being exposed makes them want to hide away.
okay got it, will try to look for baby pureed, check our local grocery only gerber brand baby food but squash and apple sauce only, would this work? i think we have limited baby food pureed, but will check another grocery nearby, in the meantime if I mashed finely carrots and mix in the soak, will it give the same effecf? someone mentioned to mash apples in the soak? will this also work?

no plants yet, but provided a hide for them, also enclosure is indoor. so no preds hehe but starting to grow pothos to put near the home soon, just letting it grow more so can give more shade also.

pls see photo of enclosure above

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gerber squash is fine not any fruit. Yes you could make fresh carrot juice and add that.
The enclosure is too bare. Put some drooping plants in there that are in pots then tort can't eat them but you can use them now. Even fake plants will work as long as he doesn't try to eat them

labanog

ca
Gerber squash is fine not any fruit. Yes you could make fresh carrot juice and add that.
The enclosure is too bare. Put some drooping plants in there that are in pots then tort can't eat them but you can use them now. Even fake plants will work as long as he doesn't try to eat them
okay gotcha thank you Wellington, will try the gerber squash and see what happens to lil april. Will also try to add plants in the enclosure.

curious question when i use gerber why some people say i need to strain it? wouldn’t the tort benefit eating the small carrots bits from the gerber?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pureed will mix with the water and the tort can absorb some of the nutrients without eating it, chunks won't mix in. Most torts are not eating when this is recommended.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Why the open top for a baby redfoot? Or any baby? Needs a closed chamber.
I agree it is too bare, it is scary for him to venture out of his hide. Also why are the food and water so far away from the hide? This baby is afraid to come out even to eat and drink.

labanog

ca
Why the open top for a baby redfoot? Or any baby? Needs a closed chamber.
I agree it is too bare, it is scary for him to venture out of his hide. Also why are the food and water so far away from the hide? This baby is afraid to come out even to eat and drink.
I put abit further from the hide so they can have abit of excercise from going back and forth between water/food and hide.

got it on the plants and shade will be adding it today. thanks

looking into building a enclosed home, but unfortunately, turtle closed enclosure is not readily availble for sale in the philippines, there are some that sells lizard aquarium similar to zoo meds, but has smaller foot print for the torts to walk. Best would have it custom built like being shown in the forum. Got some notes in the forum and need a carpenter to make an enclosed chamber. 😊

labanog

ca
The pureed will mix with the water and the tort can absorb some of the nutrients without eating it, chunks won't mix in. Most torts are not eating when this is recommended.
okay got it thanks Wellington