what tortoise have we got

Janey-Lou

IMG_0764.JPGHi, I'm from the Uk and my daughter has just be given a tortoise but we have no idea what type he is (well we think its a he)... she has named him Charlie. I've searched on line but can't find any information or pictures that look like him, so we would be grateful if anyone could help us solve the problem.. :tort:

Attachments

• IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks like a mature greek tortoise. There are several subspecies from various parts of the range. I don't know which one this is, but the care is similar for all of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Take a look at the "Important Threads" at the top of the Greek tortoise section. We have a nice care sheet there for Greek tortoises.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . I agree it looks to be Greek to me .

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
The forum isn't letting me enlarge the pics, but from a small pic it looks like testudo graeca graeca. So a Greek, but if you are speaking to other UK keepers refer to it as a Spur Thigh.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome. And how is this adult tortoise been giving to your daughter? Who take care of him before? Thank you for sharing.