what tortoise is my tortoise?

sigmatheratops

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I’ve been trying to find out what my tortoises need to stay healthy, such as what food they eat, what the ideal temperature for them is, etc. The problem is, I’ve been asking google and it’s been giving me varied answers. Here is a picture of them:
image.jpg
Don’t mind the little box they’re in, I’ve already ordered them all the basic things they need (40 gallon enclosure, substrate, etc.) 😅

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
For starters the 40 gallon tank will work for a couple of weeks possibly months I recommend building one but I don’t now what kind of tortoise they are but I definitely now that you are going to need a new one because There’s 2 of them just saying

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your little desert tortoises would really benefit from being set up in an enclosed tank. I think the 40 gallon would do fine for a couple years. I raised three hatchling desert tortoises in a Vision Enclosure, which is about 2'x3'. The three of them did fine in there until they were big enough to move outside. Granted those last few months it was pretty crowded and all the plants got trampled.

But the point being, the Vision Enclosure is a closed unit, keeping the warm, moist air inside and the cooler, drier air from the house out. It would be fairly easy for you to figure out how to cover your 40 gallon tank (including the lights).

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome to the forum! Stay with us and learn how best to look after those adorable little guys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been trying to find out what my tortoises need to stay healthy, such as what food they eat, what the ideal temperature for them is, etc. The problem is, I’ve been asking google and it’s been giving me varied answers. Here is a picture of them:
View attachment 372573
Don’t mind the little box they’re in, I’ve already ordered them all the basic things they need (40 gallon enclosure, substrate, etc.) 😅
In addition to the thread left for you in post number three, please read this one that is specific to your species.

40 gallons is much too small, and they should never liver together as a pair. Groups of juveniles can work, but not pairs. Its all here:

I'm glad you are here and asking questions. More questions are welcome.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Is that Styrofoam? .... They do not eat that! They will and they will die. You have done the first thing you need and that's to come here, next thing to do is read, read, read then start asking questions. You have to listen though if you want to have healthy torts. You can only receive the right info here, you have to do the work to ensure healthy happy torts.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I
Is that Styrofoam? .... They do not eat that! They will and they will die. You have done the first thing you need and that's to come here, next thing to do is read, read, read then start asking questions. You have to listen though if you want to have healthy torts. You can only receive the right info here, you have to do the work to ensure healthy happy torts.
I think it’s paper towels, but they could do with coming out.
Hopefully they’ll return for further advice🙂🤞