What tortoises would suit my climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
i live in rhode island where weather varys and humidity can be really high at times when summer hits and it rains because i live there the ocean and we have a some pretty decent size and large ponds.

any tortoise recommendations for a rhode islander? i have a redfoot and im looking to housing another tortoise from a different species during mid summer?

i was thinking a sulcata but then the humidity was a turn down.my local pet store has a sulcata but its his pet its not a tortoise for sale,but i was thinking because dont want to bring a tortoise in a climate area it cant handle. But i want to adopt another tortoise in mid summer. it will be an indoor pet because of the weather variations. i will be able to let it walk around my yard during the summers or when we have warms days

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well you dont want a sulcata! they are not indoor pets... not for long anyway..
I agree with Lynne.. look into Boxies... lots ot choose from they dont get big, and you can choose to hibernate them or not, in winter..

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Please check your State Laws before you decide upon a Box Turtle. Most States make it illegal to own without a permit.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

Akronic

5 Year Member
is this one you plan on keepin outside most of the time? I know russians can handle temps in the 40-50's at night if they can burrow down deep enough. ive also heard of some more exotic ones like the Impressa they are supposed to be able to handle lower temps. but dont you guys still get snow in RI esp this year didnt the east coast get hammered pretty late in the winter?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Most Northern Mediterranean species take our Northeastern weather pretty well. Most of mine spend May through October outdoors and winters indoors. Some hibernate here outdoors throughout our winters very well too.

Burmeses Browns do well in cooler, more humid temperatures also.

You actually have many options in terms of species. It all depends upon how elaborate a set up you want to get involved with.

Status
Not open for further replies.