What type of cactus are these?

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
And are they safe to feed tortoises? They have a fuzz instead of spines.

DSCN0457.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The fuzz is actually small spines known as glochids. Most annoying to get attacked by that plant!

I'm not certain of the species but it is in the Prickly Pear (Opuntia) group.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know, but I want no part of that evil looking plant.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
No, no, no! Opuntia microdasys
Definitely do not even think of feeding this one. Horrible plant. There is no way to handle this plant without getting the tiny spines in your skin, sooner or later. I think glochid is a curse-word...

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
No, no, no! Opuntia microdasys
Definitely do not even think of feeding this one. Horrible plant. There is no way to handle this plant without getting the tiny spines in your skin, sooner or later. I think glochid is a curse-word...

LOL! Glochids make me curse! You can pass the pads over a flame to singe them effectively disarming them. Use tongs (or a neighbor's kid) to handle the pads.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Are the spines only hard at a certain time of year? My hands are pretty rough, but I handled them with no problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Each one of those little yellow dots contains hundreds of tiny glochids. If you hands are badly calloused, the little spines may not have been able to grab you. But brush one of the pads over your inner arm then come back and tell me it's only fuzz!!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The glochids are much less invasive if they are wet. For future reference (and I'll bet you'll need it if you keep handling them), the best method I have found for removing glochids is to rub the affected part through your hair (or the hair of that neighbor kid I mentioned earlier) repeatedly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've tried the sticky tape method. Gorilla tape works pretty well to remove them from your skin. But the only real method is a magnifying glass and a pair of sharp pointed tweezers. Even then, you sometimes break them off instead of pulling them out. Too bad you're on the opposite coast, Art...I'd like to try the rub-it-on-your-hair method next time, using your head, of course!

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The glochids are much less invasive if they are wet. For future reference (and I'll bet you'll need it if you keep handling them), the best method I have found for removing glochids is to rub the affected part through your hair (or the hair of that neighbor kid I mentioned earlier) repeatedly.

LOL. That reminds me of an evil old trick: you ask some unsuspecting rube: do you know, cactus store heat and radiate it out the top - you can feel it if you put you hand just above the spines - then, when they try, you smack their hand down on the cactus...

I have never done this myself, but remember crusty old cactus growers telling me about it.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Thanks for all of your warnings.Yvonne, I am not really as stupid as I look. I will pass on the inner arm test.I get your point!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I've tried the sticky tape method. Gorilla tape works pretty well to remove them from your skin. But the only real method is a magnifying glass and a pair of sharp pointed tweezers. Even then, you sometimes break them off instead of pulling them out. Too bad you're on the opposite coast, Art...I'd like to try the rub-it-on-your-hair method next time, using your head, of course!

You're more than welcome to stop by the next time you're glochidized! I still have a full head of hair not infrequently used for disglochidization...

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
Another good way to remove cactus spines from your skin is good old Elmer's white school glue. Apply a thin coat and allow to dry then peel it off and (usually) it will remove all the glochids.