What type of cactus is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
We have this cactus that we are about to throw out because it takes forever to get all the prickles off and Vegas wont touch the flowers, he just looks at it and sniffs. We have other types of cactus that is either spineless of doesn't have a lot of prickles, so before we chuck it out does anyone know what type it is... Thanks

IMG00064-20110422-1156-1-1.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
That looks like an optunia, just one with stickers. You could try burning the stickers off, that's what my grandpa used to do when he had to feed optunia to cattle.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have tried to burn them off, but this is the first cactus I have seen with so many prickles...I am still picking them out of my fingers..

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I hate to eliminate a plant thas is successful, but I bet where you are you could replace that one with a spineless optunia and have it thrive as well.

I haven't been out in the sticks here in WY, but where I lived in MT the optunia was all prickles and nothing else. It grew small and close to the ground and when I saw people on the forum talking about feeding optunia, I was apalled and shocked that anyone would offer their torts something so awful LOL.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We are growing 2 other types of optunia, one spineless and one with very little prickles, so this one is just to much of a hassle for us and since its the only one our Sulcata will not eat, it's going away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I handle them with thick rubber gloves and wash/rub the spines off under running water. That's opuntia for sure. Perfect size for feeding young torts.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I may go get some thick rubber gloves and see how it goes before we toss them, the flowers started to bloom while they were sitting in the bucket waiting to get tossed out..

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
GOD! What a perfect pad...flowers and everything! BTW...torts will eat flowers and everything! :D

Whatever you do, don't toss 'em! That's the perfect food for your beasts! It all but eliminates the need for Ca supplements...great fiber source, too!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
DeanS said:
GOD! What a perfect pad...flowers and everything! BTW...torts will eat flowers and everything! :D

Whatever you do, don't toss 'em! That's the perfect food for your beasts! It all but eliminates the need for Ca supplements...great fiber source, too!

Gonna go get some thick rubber gloves, like Tom said and see how it goes..

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Don't toss it. I use BBQ tongs and hold it over a flame. The spines dissappear quickly. You have grade A tortoise food right there.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Az tortoise compound said:
Don't toss it. I use BBQ tongs and hold it over a flame. The spines dissappear quickly. You have grade A tortoise food right there.

Will do, thanks..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Torty Mom said:
I do it the same way Mick does. As soon as the flames hit the spines they just burn away. It happens pretty fast too!!

My wife put a couple in pots and I will come up with a creative way to clean and feed the rest....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
or just tunr on your burners on electric stove.. that works too.. use tongs and brush the pad across the burner.. or feed if before the spines get to much to handle...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Im gonna BBQ for easter and I have a large grill, so I think I will toss some on the grill and see how that works...

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
You don't want to cook them; just pass them through the flame. The glochids (fine spines) and even the regular spines will burn almost immediately if dry. BTW, they are good for humans too!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
HLogic said:
You don't want to cook them; just pass them through the flame. The glochids (fine spines) and even the regular spines will burn almost immediately if dry. BTW, they are good for humans too!

I have a electric stove and I don't want to burn them so I figured it would be easy to use the fire from the grill to burn the spines off, just looking for a way to do it quick and easy. I am trying everyone's options to see what will work best..

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
I just found the same cactus by my house. Do I have to burn off all the tiny little glochids? I just had one stab me through my gloves as I was trying to brush them off. Is any opuntia truely spineless or will I always have to deal with the little glochids?

Status
Not open for further replies.