What type of tortoise is this?

JenniferMB

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This a 2 year old tortoise, when bought my niece was told it was just a “regular” tortoise?‍♀️. She has researched some and believes it to be a Chaco tortoise. I am hoping someone here can clarify what breed of tortoise he is so that we can properly take care of him. The first pic is him now, the pix of him on my niece is when he was a baby. Thank you guys in advance for any helpful info! 257C6597-F58D-4A52-ADA4-AFDE02C8EEF3.jpeg
C4F05056-29D4-48B2-B323-EBF050D9847C.png

nicoleann2214

NY
This a 2 year old tortoise, when bought my niece was told it was just a “regular” tortoise?‍♀️. She has researched some and believes it to be a Chaco tortoise. I am hoping someone here can clarify what breed of tortoise he is so that we can properly take care of him. The first pic is him now, the pix of him on my niece is when he was a baby. Thank you guys in advance for any helpful info! View attachment 300879
Sulcata, and it looks to be not even a year old. Where did your niece get it?

Last edited:

nicoleann2214

NY
Also, @Tom has a lot of good care sheets you can follow to give this little guy a good start, he looks pretty dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yikes, you've got a Sulcata. They can get up to 200lbs.

You RF keeper you... :p

"Normal" sulcata males top out at around 120-130 pounds. Only the Sudans get larger, and they can reach up close to 400 pounds on occasion. 250 pounds is a "normal" Sudan male. Interestingly, females of both types top out at around 80 pounds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This a 2 year old tortoise, when bought my niece was told it was just a “regular” tortoise?‍♀️. She has researched some and believes it to be a Chaco tortoise. I am hoping someone here can clarify what breed of tortoise he is so that we can properly take care of him. The first pic is him now, the pix of him on my niece is when he was a baby. Thank you guys in advance for any helpful info! View attachment 300879
Can we get a picture from the front showing the leg scales for 100% confirmation?

It does look like a sulcata to me too, and here is the care info for that species:

JenniferMB

Texas
Here is a front view to show his legs. He was originally bought from a guy that had other tortoises for my nieces little sister (different daddies) but their mom is a piece of work and I just found out that she’s not providing anything for him care wise. But that’s a whole other story.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

JenniferMB

Texas
Sulcata, and it looks to be not even a year old. Where did your niece get it?
It was bought from a guy that had multiple other tortoises large and small at his home. I don’t have a lot of that info, I’m sorry. But he was bought 2 years ago for my nieces little sister and my niece ended up with it as her sister was only 8 and had no interest in taking care of it.