What would be the 'perfect' indoor habitat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
My friend had a lovely room like this in his basement where he grew his favorite "plants". I wish I had pictures. I used to think "what I could do with a room like this for my tortoises and boxies." Unfortunately he moved....with the help of local authorities. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
My friend had a lovely room like this in his basement where he grew his favorite "plants". I wish I had pictures. I used to think "what I could do with a room like this for my tortoises and boxies." Unfortunately he moved....with the help of local authorities. :(

Oh-h-h! "Those" kinds of plants!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
LOL Terry! We were watching something... 'Weeds' maybe and I kept thinking the same thing! "I could do Leopards, big breeding groups..."

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
terryo said:

:D Those pretty plants!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Jacqui said:
emysemys said:
terryo said:

:D Those pretty plants!
I'll plead the fifth.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I believe the enclosure I am currently building at my new house is my ideal indoor enclosure. It measures 8' long and 4' wide. The enclosure itself is only 12" tall, however it sits on top of a pedestal that is around 40" tall.

The surfaces clean easily (using heavy-duty melamine and siliconing all the corners), It has two nesting areas, each consisting of a 3'x2'x8" bin set into the floor (so that it is flush with the rest of the enclosure floor), and it has removable dividers that can separate it into two 4'x4' enclosures, a 4'x4', 4'x18", and 4'x30" enclosure, two 4'x30" and two 4'x18", or of course the full 8'x4'. It is for my russian tortoises.

Some other benefits: I built it super heavy duty, with 4x4's and carriage bolts, so it is here to stay. It is also on some heavy duty casters so that I can get behind it and under it to clean and reach otherwise hard to reach places. The pedestal is built to accommodate my red footed tortoise's 6' vision enclosure. Perhaps the coolest part, however, is that my fiancee's dad has installed two designated circuits for the main tortoise room/breeding room. One is live 24/7 and goes to four electrical outlets in the room. The other goes through a timer, then to ten electrical outlets. That way I can just plug my lights into the wall, and they will turn on in the morning and off at night.

The best thing is the project is funded by money made from selling hatchlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.