What would you want a new keeper to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
A bit if background... when I got back into Redfoots, I found there is a ton of new info scattered across hundreds of sites, so I started writing a book. When Vinke's and Pingleton's new books came out I decided to open the range of my book- which will probably never be published but might make the core of a website someday.

The new focus is on Forest Tortoises. The question is: What would you want keepers, new or somewhat experienced, to know about Manourias, especially where they differ from Redfoots?

Species-specific info would be wildly appreciated, and any source info you can share for your ideas would be wonderful.

I will give credit, and preliminary copies of anything that results from this for ideas. If anyone wants to tackle actually writing these sections, I'll show you what I have so far and we can see if we can work together.

Remember- right now this is more of a homework assignment than anything that might show a profit- but who knows????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is one particular thing that I think is VERY important. Years ago I was taking a group of tortoises to an exhibit at a local library across town. The ambient air temperature was in the low 80's. The animals were in boxes in the bed of my pick-up truck. By the time I got to the library and started unloading the tortoises, the two young Manouria, who were about 12 pounds at that time, were foaming at the mouth. I hurried to a puddle in the parking lot and cooled the tortoises off, however, one of them died of heat exhaustion.

The Manouria cannot take being in full sun for any length of time. Since they come from rain forest, they are definitely not designed to live in areas of strong sunshine and if you live in a hot climate, you MUST provide them with plenty of shade.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Yvonne. I have my yearling RFs and Manouria enclosures in the same location and orientation to the sun. Today the temperature is 88 degrees and the RFs are active and looking for food while the Manourias are in the hides. I have found that Manouria prefer about 5 to 10 degree cooler then my RFs or Homes. I think this is because they are more of montane specie than most other torts.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I keep my mt. torts. indoors at night and on cooler days, i keep them with high humidity and temps around 70-85. They are very active and always hungry. When i put them outdoors the two "females" tend to bask a lot, they will sit on the paver stone and soak in the sun with there back legs fully sticking out and head stretched out and eyes closed much like a RES basking. The two males will hang out in the shade more, and walk around the outdoor enclosure. I provide a lot of shade and hides, but so far from what i learned they like a little bit of sun and will bask when given the chance, shade is a must though, and a lot of water is a must, they love to soak and love to hang out in the water. and like above said "rain" is a favorite.

Summarry:
- Good amount of shade/sun mix enclosure
- Water dishes (they love to soak)
- Fake rain
- lots of hides

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
These guys have been about the hardest to find good information for of every species I have tried to research. Thanks so much for the information!

Is there anything on-line I can look at for yet more info?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A year or so ago I heard that Vic Morgan was writing a chapter for a book another author was writing (about Manouria). He would be a good resource for you, however, he's kind of hard to pin down.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.