What would you want in a mix or blend

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey All, I've been absent from TFO for awhile. Many big life events crowding my head.

Getting back into the feces.

Kapidolo Farms as a business has been growing and growing, many repeat customers and new ones all the time. I've broken into several market segments outside of tortoise keepers. I will keep growing this company.

I've seen a trend, starting with Tyler's 'herbal hay' (the OG) now copied by many others, to such an extent that Walmart has a store brand. I've not made blends as I want to encourage keepers to offer different things on different days to keep the tortoise habituated to food source change. As an example, right now romaine is $80 a case at restaurant depot, usually it's in the high teens.

So blah blah blah blah.

I have found people showing much interest in particle size, when they comment at all. I have a few things that work great for very small just out of the egg hatchlings. I don't indicate that on the web page, as the particle size can change from batch to batch when I buy in bulk. I do have a shredder and can always make smaller bits. You get less gross fiber in terms of particle size, but you don't really want a 1/4 bit of something going into a very small neonate that does not have an established micro-biome in their gut.

So blends and particle size.

What would you be compelled to buy?

I'd only do it if I can beat on the price point. I'm still the only supplier with 'traceable' organic sourced items even though I'm not a certified organic repackager.

The variety packs have worked great, but frankly if a made 50 pounds of a mix and sold one pound bags, that would be much less work than created 50 variety packs.

No wrong response, please offer what you think. I have much faith in you all to have good ideas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm happy with using the individual items. I buy the things from you that I have limited or no access to like moringa, echinacea, nettle, etc... I don't buy things like the dried mulberry leaves or your excellent dried opuntia offerings because I have more mulberry leaves than me and 10 people like me could ever use and I have 40 stands of live opuntia growing on my ranch.

I will sometimes mix three or four of your dried leaf options into a container to be used for my babies when I mix up their greens, but its pretty random, and I don't know if it is nutritionally sound to do so. Its just more convenient than hauling 4 tubs around.

To answer your question: I don't need a mixture. If you made a mixture, it would likely have items in it that I don't need to buy, so I'd buy the other elements separately anyway. Having said that, I am probably not your typical customer, and all the people using your products on a smaller scale for single tortoises, or small groups would probably love a mixture of several things to be used like Tyler's Herbal Hay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Tom, I'd rather pick and choose.