Whats best???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilDox

5 Year Member
Hey peeps, I have a question for you all??? What do you all think is the best stuff to use on the floor of the vivarium? What do you all use?
Bing has arrived and he has like a stoney kind of dirt in his vivarium and it's really smelly.... I was just wondering if this is normal or if there is other things I could use!?.??? Hope your all well :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
LilDox said:
Hey peeps, I have a question for you all??? What do you all think is the best stuff to use on the floor of the vivarium? What do you all use?
Bing has arrived and he has like a stoney kind of dirt in his vivarium and it's really smelly.... I was just wondering if this is normal or if there is other things I could use!?.??? Hope your all well :)
I ONLY use coco coir. Best stuff in my opinion! Hope this helps ya! Good luck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with Chris....I use and like coco coir...I also am trying peat moss (not the stringy hairy stage but the kind mulched down into soil grade) and the RFs seem to really enjoy mucking about and hiding in it a bit more than the coco coir.....:D neither seem smelly to me (but I like the smell of soil so all good here)...as Chris says the coco coir can be purchased at the pet store either in ready fluffed bags or in bricks you can soak to break down....I pick up the organic purpose peat moss from LOWES....[/align]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opinion, and I also have a leopard, coconut coir. Does not mold and holds humidity really well.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Mine tortoises are on Coir and they don't smell. I clean out their poops and urates every day or so though. I change the coir at least once a month.

LilDox

5 Year Member
Ooooo ok that will be good then! It's just the smell at he minute is awful!! Poor Bing! He seems to be very happy though

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
He will like the coir. I have to mist mine everyday because it does dry out. My russian gets pissed when I spray down her cage in the morning :D

LilDox

5 Year Member
How long do you soak the coir for before putting it in? Xxx

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I love coco coir and never had an issue with the smell. I usually only soak it in the bucket for 30-60 minutes before using it. Relatively cheap, retains humidity well, easy to use, doesn't attract bugs, etc.

LilDox

5 Year Member
Thank you for your help feel really thick keep asking all these questions lol what do you have in your vavariums? Like hides and stuff? Xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.